Red fleet farm coop

sbrey

Hatching
Jun 11, 2015
Green Bay WI
So, I bought my coop before find BYC and realize I should have built a coop. I have read many posts about the hazards of these pre-made coops and now I am scared for my chickens. How can I predator proof it. I am putting new latches on for sure. Should I put hardware cloth on the bottom so nothing can get underneath? I was using forest floor and pine shavings for the floor and still want to do that but scared of something digging from underneath. I am going to plan on building a coop but this will have to do for a little while. I have 6 chicks right now not sure how many are hens so I don't know how many we will be keeping. I am really scared though. I love my chickens. ...... please help.

I don’t know what your coop looks like or what it is made of so it’s hard to give specific suggestions or critique it. I’m not a fan of most of the prefabricated coops you can buy but many people use them successfully. They don’t always end in disaster.

I assume the bottom of your coop is open and the run is entirely enclosed along with the coop. The coop section is probably elevated. One way to prevent digging predators from getting in is to use an apron. That’s where you lay a piece of wire fencing maybe 18” wide or wider around the outside and firmly attach it to the bottom of the coop. You don’t have to bury this wire fencing but if you are in a woodland setting with leaves, I’d rake the leaves back before installing it, then cover the wire with those leaves. The idea is that a digging predator goes up to the run, starts to dig, hits the wire, and does not know to back up. It’s an extremely effective method.

For some reason I am no longer able to upload pictures when I click on enbed picture nothing happens. Would I be ok putting the hardware cloth under the leaves and shaving that the chickens will be walking on? I didn't know if it would bother their feet while they were scratching

I would leave the bottom and just lay a strip of hardware cloth around the outside of the run. Cover it with dirt or rock.

You could put wire across the bottom but I would not. With the apron it should not be necessary. Some wire, not all but some, has tiny sharp points on it from the manufacturing process, either from galvanizing, welding, or where it is cut. Those sharp points can damage their feet. If you can get wire that does not have those sharp points or use plastic coated wire then they probably would not hurt their feet when scratching on it.

You can do as you wish but I don’t think it is necessary. Don’t over-react.

So, I bought my coop before find BYC and realize I should have built a coop. I have read many posts about the hazards of these pre-made coops and now I am scared for my chickens. How can I predator proof it. I am putting new latches on for sure. Should I put hardware cloth on the bottom so nothing can get underneath? I was using forest floor and pine shavings for the floor and still want to do that but scared of something digging from underneath. I am going to plan on building a coop but this will have to do for a little while. I have 6 chicks right now not sure how many are hens so I don't know how many we will be keeping. I am really scared though. I love my chickens. ...... please help.

I know what you're feeling. We did they same thing, bought the coop the same day we got our first chicks from the farm store. Before they were even out of the brooder we realized that the pre-fab coop wasn't going to work; size and not being predator proof. After reading this forum I became really scared for my chicken too. Hubs started to "beef-up" the pre-fabbed coop, like you, he changed the latches. We were going to do an "apron" of hardware cloth around the bottom rather than covering the entire bottom. Long store short, we sold the pre-fab coop, repurposed an existing shed and built a run.

Now I need a run, the chickens were free ranging everyday but they have taken a liking to our neighbors yard so I would like to get a run for them. My husband is not handy so he wants to buy a run. What are your thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom