Red Golden in distress

beccers099

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have had most of my other eggs left hatch. But this guy real has done a number on himself. He's been laying there all day now. He's still connected to the membrane. I tried to remove some shell without damaging it but decided to stop. He still has his cord attached to stuff in the back but doesn't look like the yolk sack really and the veins attached to the membrane are still full like they are still at work. I don't know what to do. He was peeping a lot earlier...but I only have heard one cheep over the past few hours. I don't want to kill him if he has a chance but I don't want to try to detach him and have him bleed out either.

Last edited:
93655_wp_000440.jpg

93655_wp_000441.jpg

Don't have an iron but may be able to make something work...heat a knife maybe? I never saw this before...but I'm still kinda new to this. What about him lying there all weak? He did a little kick and opened his eyes a little bit ago...but that was it..

Quote:
I once have a chick that was stuck to the shell by an open butt wound similar to the photo, BUT unlike you say your do, mine was active and running around with the shell behind so I cut the veins and some blood was leaking, I grabbed my soldering iron and cauterized the wound the bleeding stopped and the chick grow up fine, this only works when the yolk is already absorbed.
By what you said, your chick may have something wrong (besides what is visible) so maybe this method will not work, but I would try it anyway because that shell is not needed anymore. Is the chick already dry?

He kicked and the cord started to bleed so I grabbed a curved carpet needle I have that has a wide flat pointed end and heated it to red with a lighter and cut it...it spotted a bit on a paper towel but stopped. He's still alive but keeps laying on his side. And if I put him in a better position or the opposite side he kicks back to the first side and lays there and sleeps a lot. I'm hoping that by morning that he will try ti get up. I'm worried he has something else wrong like you said. He's occasionally peeping again but only when i bother him...but that's more than before anyway. His breathing is strong....he doesn't hold his head up much either, but is able to twist it around to look at me now.
hu.gif

93655_wp_000444.jpg

93655_wp_000443.jpg

Hello,
I also had a bird that I had to do that with except I use the cauterized sticks. Its always a good idea to have some on hand you can get them at walmart for $2 for 12. It is probably very weak and they normally sleep alot the first 12 hrs. Don't forget it's alot of work for the little guys. Just keep him warm and first thing in the morning I would makesure it gets something to drink.
Goodluck little guy.
Patty

Back
Top Bottom