Red hens recovery hits a possible snag

Okay it’s after midnight.... all wounds are nearly sealed up. The largest puncture has had 2 exfoliating events and the current scab is looking to come off in the next few days, based on her track record. All kinds of feather growth.
She is really enjoying yogurt with wheat germ, starter 20% crumble with warm water into a mosh and banana squished parts on top of both of these in a cup. She was not so hot for scrambled eggs. But has taken to salad mix recently.

I will try to take a pic during daylight hours.

she will be returning to the coop very soon - in a dog crate to regain everyone’s awareness for several days before I let her back in with the main flock.

Well she had rejoined the flock at least a week ago, one afternoon in the small yard and they all returned to the coop that night. No hassles.

sadly one returns & another get “injured reserve status” in the same day. The kiddos named this girl, Sylvia. She has a very obvious limp. No bleeding, no scars or scabs.
For well over a week now she’s been enjoying the same a-crate-tuments as the previous girl. Especially the food. They both really love the mix of pumpkin purée, yogurt & wheatgerm flakes. You’d like it was candy or something.

well, as she has slowly over the last 4-5 days been active a lot more. And yesterday the limp was less prominent. So today she got to get sat down in the yard -solo- for a time while I did a few things. Her limp today was significantly less visible. So I feel she’s got a few more days before it’s time to rejoin the flock for her....

So here are the two girls. Puncture wounds gal has her head outta focus in the group picture. And the “wing over the railing girl” was the limping one that the kiddos named “Sylvia.”

I’m amused by “Silvia’s pose”….

BEA1C764-FDE2-4A72-9B1B-DE9C6F9883A0.jpeg

8D2F6A8C-35B5-4A63-9743-E6AC62058715.jpeg
80562F54-F4DB-4AA7-979C-07C713C21A99.jpeg

Both girls are still doing just fine.
Now we have a different girl in the infirmary for obviously needing a break from the boys! The excessive mating has punctured her side under the wing feathers. She’s chillin’ for the next few days - weeks while it heals up. The scraped away skin also has a sizable puncture below the feather….
10A29B70-BA2C-46A5-9241-C0BB20DDC120.jpeg

122E1C4E-05D1-4DD3-A3F6-C34E5A977F80.jpeg
The ointment is level & to the left of my fingernail, the hole is covered by it and that 2nd feather to the right of my fingernail.

Update, sorry no pics tonight.

she’s healing up. Started sprouting random saddle feathers this week.

silkie Roo is rock solidly at 3lbs for a couple weeks now & is still having the occasional tip over in side thing. But! But! It’s nowhere near as often as it was 2 weeks ago now. I think yesterday I saw twice and thst was for a few seconds before he was solid on his feet and strutting his stuff.

Hope to reintroduce him soon.

Back
Top Bottom