Red kidney beans as a rat poison

Naser

Crowing
9 Years
Oct 29, 2014
Ireland
Anybody tried red kidney beans as a rat poison ?
This guy says if you feed a rat undercooked red kidney beans for 15 days it dies

I think it used to be like that, but now I think most beans for human consumption are heated so they aren’t dangerous anymore...uncooked or dry beans which contain hemaglutin, which is a very toxic anti-nutrient that destroys vitamin A and enzymes needed to digest protein and starches. This causes clumping of red blood cells. You can try it, but will they eat them?!

Never tried that myself. I tried about everything else when one of my coops was infested. I finally resorted to using poison. I put the poison in rat bait stations and the bait stations in a pet carrier so nothing but the rats could get to the bait and put the pet carries on shelves in the barn which is behind the coops. There were tunnels around the coops and barn and since I didn't find any dead rats I assume they went into their tunnels and died.

Attachments

• RatBaitStationRev1.jpg
    RatBaitStationRev1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1
  • RatBaitBoxRev.jpg
    RatBaitBoxRev.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1
  • PetCarrier1.jpg
    PetCarrier1.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PetCarrier.jpg
    PetCarrier.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 1
Never tried that myself. I tried about everything else when one of my coops was infested. I finally resorted to using poison. I put the poison in rat bait stations and the bait stations in a pet carrier so nothing but the rats could get to the bait and put the pet carries on shelves in the barn which is behind the coops. There were tunnels around the coops and barn and since I didn't find any dead rats I assume they went into their tunnels and died.
It would be great if we find less harmful alternative to rat poison

Just an old wives tale being repeated by a youtuber. Stop feeding the rats and they will leave. No poisons, no traps needed, get a treadle feeder.

How do you remove all feed sources they aren't just limited to the feed put out for our animals? The chickens hopefully are laying eggs which the rats will take and eat.

Keeping things clean will help but once established they can be hard to get rid of. I try to limit feed and do keep a number of small box traps and mouse traps out but have a large area around me for them to come from.

How do you remove all feed sources they aren't just limited to the feed put out for our animals? The chickens hopefully are laying eggs which the rats will take and eat.
The rats generally come out at night, so if you collect eggs one last time when you put the birds up for the night, you take away the feeders too, you've excluded all the meaningful feed you can from the coop/pen.

Back
Top Bottom