Red mite infestation....They are everywhere!

Snowmonkey

Hatching
Jul 28, 2021
Hi all, I am a long time reader and have been keeping chickens (quite uneventfully) for around 6 years.

But a couple of days ago, we discovered we had an enormous problem with red mites...the infestation seemed to expload overnight (although in reality it was probably during the last two weeks warm/wet weather we have had).

We immediately deep cleaned/hosed the hen house, sprayed with anti mite stuff, re hosed and sprayed. They were coming out of every nook and cranny!

I know they are not completely eradicated, but we will keep spraying and dusting until the weather gets colder. But my worry (and the reason for my post) is that they are all over the floor! On the grass where we cleaned the house, and in the lean to (with soil floor) where we keep the chickens, if you walk around the area within a couple of minutes shoes and socks (and ankles/legs) are covered in small moving white dots.

Do I need to worry about this? Is it enough to keep the chickens and the hen house dusted/sprayed? Or should I be looking for something to spray on the ground (and if so, what)? I have read that they are not a threat to humans and dogs, but I can't help but feel very itchy whenever I go close!

Thanks in advance for your advice...

I haven't had to deal with mites yet🤞 but I do know that you have to keep treating until they are gone then retreat in 10 days or so to kill the eggs that hatched. Hopefully someone that has more experience will chime in!

Hi all, I am a long time reader and have been keeping chickens (quite uneventfully) for around 6 years.

But a couple of days ago, we discovered we had an enormous problem with red mites...the infestation seemed to expload overnight (although in reality it was probably during the last two weeks warm/wet weather we have had).

We immediately deep cleaned/hosed the hen house, sprayed with anti mite stuff, re hosed and sprayed. They were coming out of every nook and cranny!

I know they are not completely eradicated, but we will keep spraying and dusting until the weather gets colder. But my worry (and the reason for my post) is that they are all over the floor! On the grass where we cleaned the house, and in the lean to (with soil floor) where we keep the chickens, if you walk around the area within a couple of minutes shoes and socks (and ankles/legs) are covered in small moving white dots.

Do I need to worry about this? Is it enough to keep the chickens and the hen house dusted/sprayed? Or should I be looking for something to spray on the ground (and if so, what)? I have read that they are not a threat to humans and dogs, but I can't help but feel very itchy whenever I go close!

Thanks in advance for your advice...
Welcome to BYC. Are you sure you're dealing with red chicken mites? Can you post a photo please?

Hi thanks for all your replies. I assumed we have a red chicken mite infestation purely because what I was seeing was very similar to the photos online (tiny red dots in the corners, and an ash/dust like substance lower down. We have since cleaned the house and powdered/spayed it. And I have just received 5KG of DE powder which a friend recommended.

But I have to currently wear wellies to go into the lean to where we keep the hen house. Within a minute, my feet are crawling with little white dots. This is the thing that puzzles me, I haven't read about this anywhere else.

I am not sure how I can take photos of them as they are tiny!

I will try and get some photos today. My deep clean of the hen house, and spraying with the stuff we got in the local shop seems to have worked to some extent...the hens have stopped being afraid of going in the house at night and their combs are back to being red and upright. The first battle is won, but I fear it will be a long war...:hmm

Back
Top Bottom