Red Mites HELP!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kansaschicken, May 31, 2010.

1. Kansaschicken

Kansaschicken New Egg

Sep 25, 2009
    We have never had a problem and now we do!! Any ideas our farm stores employees look at me crazy when I ask them questions on DE. I have heard other people talk about dusting the coop with that, what can I use on my birds, and should we be dusting ourselfs and the dogs?? Thanks for any help

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I don't believe the mites will live on you or the dogs. They can get on you, just not live. Most people use Sevin or poultry dust for their chickens. There is a little controversy about the effectiveness of DE.
    Make sure to dust thoroughly around the vent and under the wings, down to skin level. Also need to thoroughly clean the coop. They can hide in cracks and straw etc. Some people paint the coop and roosts with kerosene.
    Here's a little info:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Good luck

Imp

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you are going to use DE, in addition to the coop litter and nest boxes, you should also put some in their dust baths and dust the chickens, too.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We bought a bag of DE only to find out that it didn't work for us. We use Sevin dust several times a year just as a precaution and have had no troubles thus far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by