red mites in chickens

hoogla01

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
have been told i can use 'VAN-VERMINEX-11500' to control mites in my chickens, but it looks like its for pigeons. Can I use it safely?

I am having problems with mites on my young chickens also we have used sevin but I have concerns with it. My grandkids are coming in this weekend and they will be playing with the chicks. They are needing to be sprinkled again will it be safe for the kids to play with them by Sunday or Monday of next week that will be a week that it will be on them?

my chickens got it so bad i can see it on them in daylight...
hmm.png
someone told me to use sevin.... but i dunno if it's safe. i'm sure if it's for some dirty little pigeons you can use it on chickens
tongue.png

It would be rather polite if you did not use derogaratory terms for animals that others raise. For whatever it may be worth, there are HUGE numbers of pigeon fanciers.

Sevin is safe. I expect, but do not know for certain that the verminex is as well. Check out its ingredients. DE is fairly useless as a pesticide when there is an active infestation.

RED mites live in the coop.

Northern fowl mites live on the chicken.

See this info. if you wish:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

It is wise to treat the chicken and the coop regardless. And retreat to get the eggs hatching out.
They sell liquid permethrin to treat coops (an example of a coop treatment).

Personally I use Sevin dust and permethrin dust for the northern fowl mite. Some are saying on BYC now that there is a 7 day withdrawal period for sevin dust (toss the eggs)- it is advisable to search BYC for this.

I haven't heard of the product you mention.

Last edited:
Our girls suffered with red mite last year, it was horrible! It took us a while to get rid of it. We realized that the wooden coop was the main source of the infection as the mites were hiding in every nook.
The way we got past this was by turning the old coop (chickenopolis) into a bunny rabbit appartment. Then we built a new coop. This was originally a plastic oil drum, scrubbed out, turned on its side and roosting posts and nesting areas put in along with air vents and windows. Its waterproof, very easy to jet wash out, and nowhere for the little critters to hide!! Our chooks moved in straight away and are very happy
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom