1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red mites not a problem!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lealea44, Jan 31, 2017.

1. lealea44

lealea44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2014
    Headland, AL
    I keep reading about the problems with red mites. I've had my six Buff Orpington's for almost 2 years. I have a rotation where I entirely clean their house out every other week and then the next week I just scoop the poop off the top of the pine shavings. I have been using DE on the entire clean-out up until a month ago; and I have never seen a red might even when I check for them in cracks and under the roosts. I'm confused I read an article on another site that said DE is terrible for chickens respiratory tract. I always close them out and put the DE under the shavings so they're not exposed to dust unless they happen to go in and scratch in the pine shavings, which is not a regular occurrence. My question is should I continue to use the DE since I have never seen a red mite???

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    DE can be a contentious topic on BYC. Some swear by it - others claim it's snake oil. My two cents would be if you have concerns over the health of your birds while using DE...and you don't have a mite problem....don't use use it. If you ever do see evidence of mites you could doctor them with a variety of treatments. Just my opinion. Good luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I 100% agree with redsoxs!

4. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    The DE can damage your lungs if you are not wearing a dust mask when spreading it. Mites hate DE, but to me it's not worth the risk. There are still traces that stay in the air. I use neem seed oil.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I've never found DE to be good for anything.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I agree with redsoxs.

Thanks for joining us!

7. lealea44

lealea44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2014
    Headland, AL
    Thank everyone for your answers I appreciate you taking the time