Red mites?

Nica44

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2020
Hello I have problem. Never have problem with any kind of parasites in my chickens flock, until now :(
Few days ago I've noticed tiny, and I mean TINY bugs on my young rooster, happily he is separated from the rest of the flock (because he is aggressive) but he was separated in the "summer" chicken house before so I 'm afraid that those parasites may come from there and the rest of the flock is there now because I moved them there week ago, and I've noticed those mites on the rooster when I moved him to the chicken house where rest of the flock used to live during winter time. Sorry if this is a little bit confusing.
I noticed that those mites (size of dot that you can make with very sharp pencil) so they are under one millimeter. I can see them only during nighttime, and only on the rooster (don't noticed them on walls or roosts but they are tiny so I may not be able to see them). They are grey/beige, red (bright red like a tomato) and black. When I touch the rooster, they are immediately on my arm and I noticed few on me yesterday, si I am afraid that they can infest my house, especially because I have a cats, dog and parrot.
Problem is that this "winter chicken house" is located in a basement part of my house -only one warm place to keep chickens at winter. So there is brick wall, pile of wood and few wooden closets that I can't remove :/I removed bedding, nesting boxes, roost (only one left) and used disinfecting powder called Agrisan But i noticed those bugs last night too.

When it comes to other chickens, I didn't noticed those on them, but I will check today at night again. None of the hens or roosters shows signs of infestation, they have brightly red faces, good feathers (except one hen but she was too often mounted by the rooster), they are laying eggs every day...Maybe this infestation is small yet?

So I have a question. Are those red mites or other type of mites? I know something about getting rid of them but never had that issue before so I have only theoretically knowledge.
Can I use Diatomaceous Earth? Would it help? I can't use very strong chemicals because I have few half-wild cats living in there, besides it is still part of my house so i don't want to use strong toxins. Besides I have very bad experience with chemicals (last year I used commercial poison for slugs - we have invasion of this thing - and one of my hens died, maybe because she found some poisoned slug and eat it (and yes I've done everything as written in the package, I wasn't doing it close to the chicken coop but even while poisoned, slugs were "running" everywhere sooo...I have huge problem with using poisons, besides my hens are laying eggs and I can't get rid of eggs from two weeks of grace period) so is there any possible way to get rid of those without using strong chemicals? I will try to make photos of them but I may not be able (definitely not on a rooster - he is speckled red and those bugs are mostly red too) but maybe on a sheet of paper, but they are so TINY I may not be able to do this.

DE will not help.
Permethrin will. It is very safe to use around the birds and your house. It is toxic to cats. However, once it is dry, it is safe around the cats. I would get a bottle of concentrated Permethrin and dilute it according to the instructions on the bottle and spray down all surfaces of the completely cleaned out "winter chicken house", let it dry then rebed.
It can also be sprayed directly on the rooster. I would spray under his vent, under each wing and under his hackles get the solution to the skin.
Inspect the rest of your flock at night using a headlamp to keep your hands free. If you see any in their coop, you will need to do the same treatment there.
All this needs to be repeated in 7 to 10 days as Permethrin will only kill the mites and not their eggs so you'll need to kill the next generation that hatches from the eggs.

Thank you. I found the nest of red mites. They are in old wooden closet. Tomorrow I will remove the closet and maybe use some fire to kill the biggest nest (in clean piece of wood, so that thing can be burn in the fire). And later I will spray "winter chicken house" but at first I need to get rid of this nest (of course my poor rooster prefers this place to sit on :/ but he wouldn't be able to do this from now)

Hello, last year I found out some of my chickens had mights (not red mites) and so our vet recommended Pestene and to dust it on them and wherever they have been sitting. It usually takes a few weeks before their are completely gone but our mites were gone in just one week! So maybe when you have finished with you clean up you could use some of this at the end to put on your chickens just to be safe. It is also very pet safe so you don't have to worry about your other pets getting sick from it. Hope this helped😁
download-2.jpg

Hello, last year I found out some of my chickens had mights (not red mites) and so our vet recommended Pestene and to dust it on them and wherever they have been sitting. It usually takes a few weeks before their are completely gone but our mites were gone in just one week! So maybe when you have finished with you clean up you could use some of this at the end to put on your chickens just to be safe. It is also very pet safe so you don't have to worry about your other pets getting sick from it. Hope this helped😁View attachment 2631005
Thank you for your recommendation :)

Back
Top Bottom