Red or Black broilers? Slow cornish?

Quote:
That's the "slow" part of slow cornish...

I'm not sure what you expected. A few extra weeks and some extra feed hopefully paid off with less health problems and lower mortality.

So how about taste? I'm raising my first batch of meat birds. I have 10 Buff Orps and 8 Slow Cornish. I plan to keep 40 of the friendliest BO's to replace some laying hens that are getting older, and the rest are to harvest.

How do you guys weigh your birds and how do you know when it is time to harvest? The BOs are two weeks older than the SC. Do you think they'll be ready at the same time?

Thanks for any answers!

Quote:
Welcome! You can start your own thread in the meat bird section by clicking on new topic, this thread is 3 years old.
wink.png

To answer you question, your BO's will likly take more than two weeks longer to be ready. You can't expect them to be as big as the meat birds either since they are single breasted and bred for egg laying. The usual time for a "dual" bird is 16 weeks or so.

THansk, will do that. Thanks for the info too. I was thinking about two weeks longer. Not too worried about breast size as I prefer legs/thighs, LOL

Just wanted to post a follow up on my CSB from Privett. I love them! They are active but docile (mine range every afternoon) and they are really good-looking birds - nice body types. I even thought of keeping one of my roos for the fun of it. I decided not to though as I've got a busy fall and it's easier to put them in the freezer than to feed and clean after them
wink.png

I just cooked the first one yesterday. Delicious!! When I took them to the processors (we have a local place that does a great job) my birds looked fabulous in comparison to a lot of the regular cornish-x birds. They were all between 6 and 9 lbs live when I took them to the freezer (@14 weeks, but could have gone a week or so before - life just got in the way). The bird I cooked yesterday weighted 5 lbs cleaned.

I will definitely raise these again!

Back
Top Bottom