Red Or Black Sex-link??

I have one red sexlink (hen from TSC) and she's my favorite hen (and the roosters favorite) but she doesn't outlay the Leghorns. During the summer she matches pace with them, but in the winter she does take more days off. She also likes to hide eggs while the Leghorns lay in the nest every time even if they all 3 squeeze in there together!!! (THAT was good pic!)
I still love her the most because she's very outgoing, smart, and definitely has more personality. If you are raising "pets" then yes I love the sexlinks as "useful pets"

If you strictly want an egg laying "machine" then you might as well spring for the Leghorns. They aren't very personable, and they like to fly over your fences, but they lay every day like nobody's business.
I don't light my coop and they never stopped laying. During December they did lay probably 4-5 eggs per week instead of 6-7, but they never stopped and production shot back up to normal in mid-January. That was a very short "break" if you ask me.

I have 2 up-and-coming BSL pullets and I love them for pets as well, they are awesome birds, but they haven't started to lay yet. They are about 22 weeks old, but I didn't really expect them to lay until "spring" so I'm not disappointed in them. They are growing red combs and their cockerel is mounting them, so I expect to find a pullet egg any day now
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom