Red Orps ????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Pumpkinpup, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I was curious if you could develope a dark red orpington and what you would start with to get there? I thought perhaps Buffs and maybe some RIR's would be a good start. What do you think? Any ideas on this? [​IMG]
    I am alread planning a project to develope some Blue Laced birds that should be fun.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here's one! Actually, Meg is a RIR over Buff Orpington. She's very much more Orp than RIR, in almost every respect. MissPrissy has a project going on that right now.
    [​IMG]

3. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Ooh cool. I love Orps and a new color would be great.

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I love the looks of your big red girls. Gonna hatch some of my own next year.

5. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Wow, Cyn, she's a beauty!!! I'll just bet that cross would do the trick if I took my time and went about it in the right way. I would love to see some of MissPrissy's birds!!! How exciting!
    2manyhats, I LOVE orps too and think that we need more varieties of them [​IMG] That's what I'm shooting for.

6. speckledhen

Meg came from some great quality birds of both breeds. She's a hefty lady, that's for certain. She has some very light black ticking in her hackles but you cant see it till you're holding her up close.

7. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I heard dark RIR hens and a dark buff orpington rooster. You'll want to breed out the dark coloured feathers in the tail and wing flights that the RIR have. I think Cyns hen is a great start [​IMG]

8. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Korfus, I agree. Cyn has a wonderful jump on me! [​IMG]
    What a pretty hen!!!

9. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    Hey speckledhen!! what kinda hen is that black hen in your picture!! I have a ton of bantys that look just like her!!

10. speckledhen

I certainly cant take credit for Meg. Bama Chicken had some Buff Orpingtons in with her RIR rooster way back when she sent me some Blue Orp eggs and asked if I wanted some of her RIRs and RIR/Buff Orp eggs. Glad I said yes!
    That black hen with Meg is one of my Poufy-Head sisters. Their mother was a Barred Rock and the father was a Cochin/Silkie cross. They're fantastic girls, all three of them. That one is Kate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by