Red Partridge Orpington informational hatch thread

Pics
Hatch day came early! The first chick is out on day 20 - one of my friend's barnyard mixes. A second one has an external pip that it has started widening. None of my shipped eggs have external pips yet. Will go check on the broody in a bit. The chicks have picked an interesting day to start hatching - it's in the 30s and snowing right now :hit I hope the broody can manage this unexpected complication!

WooHoo!!

Broody will be fine, but might be better not to peek.
I'm not going to touch her, just want to go in and take a look/listen and see if I can hear peeps... Maybe bring her some more scrambled eggs. It looks like she didn't leave the nest yesterday (I left her a treat by the feeder that she hasn't touched) so maybe there's some action happening.

I'm not going to touch her, just want to go in and take a look/listen and see if I can hear peeps... Maybe bring her some more scrambled eggs. It looks like she didn't leave the nest yesterday (I left her a treat by the feeder that she hasn't touched) so maybe there's some action happening.
I've found they stay on nest during 'lockdown'.
..so don't worry about her not eating.
I had one with a pipped egg, jumped off the nest run around furiously doing all the things,
eating, drinking, pooping, dust bathing, then she sat tight until they all hatched.

I've found they stay on nest during 'lockdown'.
..so don't worry about her not eating.
I had one with a pipped egg, jumped off the nest run around furiously doing all the things,
eating, drinking, pooping, dust bathing, then she sat tight until they all hatched.
Mine is young and a first timer, so I don't trust her completely, but after that one extended 3-hour break early on, she's been doing a lot better, so I'm feeling more confident now. Most of this right now is just my own curiosity and impatience :lol:

Does it have audio too?
Yep! Two-way audio, even. I use it to talk to them and calm them down when they freak out over something and start screaming early in the morning (I still have neighbor anxiety...)

Went out and checked on her, couldn't hear anything. Though that doesn't mean much, because there was too much background noise - the wet snow thumping on the umbrellas in the run, sirens and other traffic sounds etc. Plus, I imagine chicks snug under mama's butt wouldn't be screaming the way the poor little guys are in the incubator. Oh, there are two of them now! And a third one on the way, all from my friend's eggs. They are cheeping and trying to crawl all over everything, of course.

P.S. I haven't moved the camera yet. It's so cold that by the time I was done refilling food and water, I couldn't feel my fingers. Will try again in the afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom