1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red plugs, in or out?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Turkeyrun, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Turkeyrun

Turkeyrun Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    With a LG still air incubator, when should the red plugs be in place and when should they be they be taken out?

Thank you
    [​IMG]

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I use the plugs to control the humidity on my hova bator I have one out most of the incobation during lockdown I have both in this raises the RH some

3. Alas

Alas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    I've been wondering about this too. Does having the plugs out affect how hard it is to keep a constant temp? I also have a Hovabator.

4. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    The plugs dont have a big effect on temp/humidity. In lockdown I took mine out and it brought humidity down 2-4%

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I use them for minor temp changes. There's a link to my cheat sheet in my signature.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:when I have both plugs out of min it seems like it runs a little more but there is a better exchange of air it kina depends what the humidity is here and what time of the year it is. in the winter time when my heat is on I lose all humidity in the house with the plugs out at this time the water evaporates really quick it is easy to get rid of to much humidity fairly quickly just by pulling the plugs , I live on the coast , in the summer before I turn on the A/C we have 60%++ RH this time of the year pulling the plugs does not change much you have to wait for the heating element to cook the water out before you see a change that or pour the water out and add just a little bit back .

7. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Quote:Take the time to read this....it gave me peace after worrying over everything on my LG.....feeling much better about my eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by