Red, puffy skin on hen's neck

Freia

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
My Black sex-link has been getting her neck-feathers picked for the past year. Oddly, she never seems to mind. Some other hens have some neck-feathers picked as well. I see the hens standing around in a cuddle-huddle, and they just casually reach over to each other and pick necks. The ones getting their neck picked seem to enjoy it.

Anyway, today I noticed my Black sex-link's neck skin is very red. It looks like an extension of her comb and wattle. Is it infected? Just really irritated? It doesn't seem to bother her in the slightest.

It looks like the skin on a turkey's front neck. We call her our honorary Turken, poor thing.

You might want to try some Bag Balm or an anti-picking lotion on them. Bag Balm is supposed to taste bad to them to stop the pecking. Also make sure they are getting 16-20% protein feed, and have plenty of room in the coop with things to explore and keep them busy. I have some bearded chickens that like to groom each other's whiskers, LOL.

They get 16% layer formula, and they free range and clear the property of bugs, so I assume that adds some protein too. Plenty of roost space in the coop.

It seems to be a grooming ritual. I've watched them, and it's not an aggressive or dominance thing. They hang out and sun themselves, then stretch their neck out to each other to peck at. "I'll peck yours if you'll peck mine".

Is the bag balm toxic at all? Is it safe in case someone decides they love the taste of it?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom