Red Pyle Silkie Breeding

PrincessKiara

Songster
Mar 2, 2020
Caribbean
First off let me say that I'm in Mexico and my ability to import birds is nil. Getting them flown in from other parts of the country is about all I can do and even that is hard.

I contacted supposedly the best silkie breeder in the country and he currently has two cockerels. One is a 9 month old buff with superb feathering, but the skin on his face and comb only is red instead of black, and he has small wattles but they're still present. Also his crest is kind of a slightly elongated version of the ideal silkie crest. The other is a younger Red Pyle cockerel with great skin coloring, but no feathers on the middle front toes.

Which one am I better off buying to breed to a "show quality" (I hope I'm able to find one) Buff female and hopefully get Buffs of a bright color? Both have a very intense, pretty red color.

Thank you!

First off let me say that I'm in Mexico and my ability to import birds is nil. Getting them flown in from other parts of the country is about all I can do and even that is hard.

I contacted supposedly the best silkie breeder in the country and he currently has two cockerels. One is a 9 month old buff with superb feathering, but the skin on his face and comb only is red instead of black, and he has small wattles but they're still present. Also his crest is kind of a slightly elongated version of the ideal silkie crest. The other is a younger Red Pyle cockerel with great skin coloring, but no feathers on the middle front toes.

Which one am I better off buying to breed to a "show quality" (I hope I'm able to find one) Buff female and hopefully get Buffs of a bright color? Both have a very intense, pretty red color.

Thank you!
Well, Buff is best to breed to Buff to get Pure Buff colored birds.

But you could experiment with breeding Red Pyle to Buff.

Red Pyle isn't a color I'm experienced with, but I do know it's Dominant White over Red Duckwing/BB Reds.

You mentioned the Buffs are more red in color, are you sure they're not Buff Silkies, but are actually Red Silkies?

Well, Buff is best to breed to Buff to get Pure Buff colored birds.

But you could experiment with breeding Red Pyle to Buff.

Red Pyle isn't a color I'm experienced with, but I do know it's Dominant White over Red Duckwing/BB Reds.

You mentioned the Buffs are more red in color, are you sure they're not Buff Silkies, but are actually Red Silkies?
buff.png

Buff cockerel. 9m/o, note color of face. Lots of feathering on both outer and middle toe

4afe6793-5031-4cb6-b0d2-7e945beda690.jpg

Red pyle cockerel. Correct color of face but no feathering of middle toe.

Alternately I am being offered this roo:
lavender.png

Which I feel looks best type wise, but I'm told he's lavender and he's a lot lighter than the lavenders I've seen. What could I breed him to?
My goal is to breed show quality silkies eventually, of a not so common color. Around here it seems all silkies are partridge, white, black, blue or splash.

buff.png

Buff cockerel. 9m/o, note color of face. Lots of feathering on both outer and middle toe

4afe6793-5031-4cb6-b0d2-7e945beda690.jpg

Red pyle cockerel. Correct color of face but no feathering of middle toe.

Alternately I am being offered this roo:
lavender.png

Which I feel looks best type wise, but I'm told he's lavender and he's a lot lighter than the lavenders I've seen. What could I breed him to?
My goal is to breed show quality silkies eventually, of a not so common color. Around here it seems all silkies are partridge, white, black, blue or splash.
Okay, the Buff is a Buff. Not any darker then. usual.

The Red Pyle doesn't look Red Pyle. He looks like a regular Red X Dominant cross. Red Pyle should be White Body, Red Wing Triangles, Red Hackles, Red Saddles, Red Wing patches on males, & Red Breast, & Red Hackles on females.

I'm not saying he's not Red Pyle, sometimes the red can be excessively leaky in other areas instead of being isolated in particular areas like I described above.

The lavender looks nice. You can breed him to partridge, first generation will be black(Lavender, & Partridge are recessive genes), breeding the offspring will result in Lavenders, Black/Lavender Splits, Partridge, & Isabel Partridge offspring.

Okay, the Buff is a Buff. Not any darker then. usual.

The Red Pyle doesn't look Red Pyle. He looks like a regular Red X Dominant cross. Red Pyle should be White Body, Red Wing Triangles, Red Hackles, Red Saddles, Red Wing patches on males, & Red Breast, & Red Hackles on females.

I'm not saying he's not Red Pyle, sometimes the red can be excessively leaky in other areas instead of being isolated in particular areas like I described above.

The lavender looks nice. You can breed him to partridge, first generation will be black(Lavender, & Partridge are recessive genes), breeding the offspring will result in Lavenders, Black/Lavender Splits, Partridge, & Isabel Partridge offspring.
Thank you so much!

What would I breed the offspring to, in order to get lavenders, if I wanted to go that route?
Type wise, out of the 3, which one looks closer to standard to you? I think it's the lavender followed by the buff and then the red/white, but again I'm really new to this.

Thank you so much!

What would I breed the offspring to, in order to get lavenders, if I wanted to go that route?
Type wise, out of the 3, which one looks closer to standard to you? I think it's the lavender followed by the buff and then the red/white, but again I'm really new to this.
Lavender X Lavender, or Lavender X Black = Splits. Splits X Lavender = 50% Lavender 50% Splits.

Splits X Splits = 50% Splits, 25% Lavender, 25% Black.

The Buff is more closer to type with his plumage, but his minor flaw is the light face. If I were to use him, I'd breed to darker faced females.

Lavender X Lavender, or Lavender X Black = Splits. Splits X Lavender = 50% Lavender 50% Splits.

Splits X Splits = 50% Splits, 25% Lavender, 25% Black.

The Buff is more closer to type with his plumage, but his minor flaw is the light face. If I were to use him, I'd breed to darker faced females.
Thank you so so much! The lavender's too light for my taste, buff is my fave color so I'll go with him!

Hi, sorry for commenting this on someone else's thread, but I have a 15 month old cockerel. I was wondering if he's a red pyle? Hes my best boy type wise.

He started our white with red spots. Then the red sort of took over. I think he's still getting more and more red over time.

Attachments

• 20220628_202938.jpg
    20220628_202938.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220718_171817.jpg
    20220718_171817.jpg
    711 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220808_204030.jpg
    20220808_204030.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220808_204059.jpg
    20220808_204059.jpg