Red Rash on face by beaks and cheeks ~HELP

Bonniestar

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
I am new to this and maybe overly concerned but 2 out of 7 hens (9 weeks old) have a reddish looking rash by their beak and cheek area. They are not over crowded,the coop is new and all wood is painted, I clean ALL the time, use pine shavings, they get plenty exposure to the out doors with a run and a small fenced in free range yard. A friend said it looked like mites or lice but I searched on the internet and found nothing about lice or mites being on the face. Their feathers are gorgeous, they eat organic grain, fresh grass, berries, and only fruit and vegetable scraps and some wild bird seed. Has anyone else had this ~ would new feathers coming in cause this? I'm freaking out and praying it's not mites ....I did put DE in the coop last week. Thank you!

Last edited:
Is there an easy way to tell me how to post a picture from my cell phone...I'm sorry I'm so dated. One is a Rhode Island Red and a Barred Rock.

This is the red rash/ one person said it was lice and another person said it was the hen just maturing. What do you think?

I don't think its normal. Won't hurt them to be treated for lice.... But I'm sure someone here will know for sure what it is. You could try re-posting with your picture under a title like "is this lice". Could also be mights or other skin parasite....

This is the red rash/ one person said it was lice and another person said it was the hen just maturing. What do you think?
What is the red around your chicken's eye in your profile picture ? How would I treat for lice on the face ~ geeze
Thank you so much!

The red is the naturally red featherless zone around my young Orpington Roos eye, the colour is enhanced with a filter on my phone.
I'm not positive how to treat lice on the face... I would provide a dust bath, the chicken will cover its self effectively I think.

Here's the roo without a filter

My adult roo, so you can compare

Pre laying EE hen

And a Orpington pullet.... Maybe these will help could be normal, what your seeing and the pic just look like its not....

I went to the Market yesterday and showed the picture to a couple of chicken farmers and they said it was normal.....I have not seen any evidence of lice under the wing or by the vent. I'm so new to this that I don't know when I need to be concerned or not. I have 2 or orpington.s too ~ a buff and a lavender. They are the sweetest birds and I love their puffy feathers! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom