Red sexed link roo??

Hey all, this thread is very interesting to me. Below are my 2 chicks that I am trying to sex. They are a cross between a California White (picture included) crossed with a Red Sex Link... I think...! These chicks are 5 weeks old... what do you think? As you can see, the comb on the first chick is a bit more red and a bit larger than the second. What do you all think?

Here's the rooster father,

chick 1

chick 2

#1 - cockerel
#2- possible pullet based on less redness. I think it will be very obvious in about 2-3 weeks.

Here is my " sex link " now at 11 weeks.

The term sex link is a one time cross of Red over silver(white). The chicks are sex-able by feather color at hatch. If you breed those offspring, they are no longer sex-able at hatch. To breed them is not to breed for sex links. It's just making chickens that are mixes, that's all. Remember, sex links are mutts/mixed birds in the first place, thus if you breed them, all they make is more mutts/mixed birds. He's a cockerel. He's red with some splattering of white. He's a chicken. He's not a sex link.

Last edited:
To Roo c: This cockrel looks like a second generation Red Sex Link...First gen are nearly always white with red areas.....Did you get it from a hatchery or or a private person?....Strange things do occur so slim chance a first gen...Take care...

The term sex link is a one time cross of Red over silver(white).  The chicks are sex-able by feather color at hatch.   If you breed those offspring, they are no longer sex-able at hatch. To breed them is not to breed for sex links.  It's just making chickens that are mixes, that's all.  Remember, sex links are mutts/mixed birds in the first place, thus if you breed them, all they make is more mutts/mixed birds.  He's a cockerel.  He's red with some splattering of white.  He's a chicken.  He's not a sex link.
[/

I was thinking any day now he'd start wagging his tail and barking. I know his basics. I was just updating the photo of him. When I purchased him at 2 days old he was butter colored and the pullets were gold colored. The farmer told me they were all sex linked and by the colors then it appeared that way. The gold ones ALL turned out to be pullets and the butter colored one is this one.

Hey Roo c,

I have a "Sex Link" that looks just like yours, only it's about 18 or so weeks. Some of its tail feathers are growing in longer and curved, so it makes me think it might be a male. I guess I'll wait it out another 3-4 weeks to see if it begins to hopefully lay (or possibly crow - hopefully not!). I guess we'll wait and see...

I had a "red-sex link" female that was 100% red and now she is a he. Pretty sure I have 2nd generation red-sex links.

Back
Top Bottom