Red Shouldered Hawk behavior

Athenzchick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 24, 2010
Athens Ohio
I had a red shouldered hawk patrolling my yard this afternoon. It would circle and call, circle and call, dive a little, then circle and call some more. Every once in a while I'd hear an answering hawk from over in the woods. This went on for about 2 hours, my chickens were out in their run the whole time but they kept running for cover (so that's good). I'm just wondering what the heck this bird was doing? I'm in southeastern Ohio. Could they be teaching their little ones to fly, it seems late in the year for that but I'm no expert. Anyone have an opinion? Thanks in advance.

We call red-shouldered hawks "screaming hawks" for a reason-- I'm in southwestern NY and there are a great number of them where I live. They start circling and screaming in the spring and continue all summer into the fall, usually every day (sometimes all day it seems like!). I usually have a pair that does it but have seen up to five at a time. I am also somewhat unclear on if they are being territorial or if it is a bonding pattern between mates. Curiously, they do not seem to be actively hunting while doing this behavior (though I am NOT saying that they wouldn't take prey if the opportunity arose). Most of the time when they are actively hunting they are soaring, or sitting in a tree, watching, silently.

Yup, that's exactly what they were doing. I don't recall seeing them before but I may have just been oblivious to it. I'll certainly keep an eye out form now on though. Thanks Nambroth!

I had 2 hawks doing the exact same thing yesterday.Got me up out of the house to investigate.I often see them sitting on the fence watching my chickens,but so far no losses.NE Ohio here.

I posted yesterday on the "Raptor Migration" thread about my experience with a few Red-Shouldered Hawk. Only just identified them...I am in South Florida. A weird bird to be sure.

Quote:
Quite the contrary, they are extremely beneficial to humans as they help to control pest species. I'm sad you are unable to see their beauty and how fascinating they are.

I agree that it's frustrating and sad that they also occasionally prey on our chickens, but I can guarantee that most species prey much more often on critters you don't want around.

My red-shouldered hawks are getting a little more noisey as well. They do not vocalize when hunting but make all sorts of racket when riled up by another bird. Migrant hawks from up north may be something locals are dispalying to as warning this is my turf.

I am also hearing an up-tick in calls by great horned and barred owls. They are giving their young the boot about now.

Back
Top Bottom