Red Shouldered Hawk hanging around

For a few weeks now we have had a Red Shouldered Hawk hanging out at the pond close to our house. I can hear it calling and one day it flew right over our chickens, but did not bother any of them.
barnie.gif
We have 7 roosters crowing in the yard. 5 are in a enclosed coop/run and the 2 largest are free range with our 14 hens. (3 bantams) I am tempted to keep the chickens in the coop all day just to keep them safe. BUT... Our coop is already too small! We are working on building a bigger coop with an enclosed run... although that takes time and I fear we have none. So I am trying to decide what to do... 1) let a few more roosters out for protection? Im thinking a Hawk attack is worse than the risk of the hens getting picked on by all the roos 2) keep them in the coop unless we are outside with them. Really dont like this option but if I have to. 3) ??? I cant think of an option 3. humm
he.gif

Any thoughts or ideas? Are 7 roosters enough to keep the hawk away? Anyone wanna come help us build our coop and run?
wink.png
Rotate your flock .Only let one group out a day (by color or breed?) Next day let the other group free range. Keep rotating your flock until you get a bigger coop built. Keep those extra roosters up. They'll fight each other and abuse your hens.

If you have to kill the squirrels hang them up on a fence post where the hawks or owls can find them. Predators are less inclined to eat your chickens if they have other sources of food nearby.By killing the rodents you're shooting yourself in the foot.
DH does this. "Offerings" are more plentiful during the summer months and they'll start talking when they see him walking out to the spot.
Doesn't take them long to figure things out.

I had a red shouldered hawk kill my favorite hen the other day. Passing through or not, he broke my heart. He's been back a couple of times and my chickens are still terrified several days later. Never say never.
We just lost our Easter Egger to a red shouldered hawk this afternoon! The hawk was on the ground eating her since the chicken was too heavy for the bird to carry away. These rsh, coopers hawk, and rth have been fly too close to the chickens even when I am right there with the chickens.

Today I wasn't near. My dd found the hawk eating. Bah!

I thought the birds have enough goffers to eat to worry about my large chickens, especially when I am around. Boy was I wrong.

Back
Top Bottom