Red spot in yolk?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lwiley1959, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Lwiley1959

Lwiley1959 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Antioch,California
    I got a red spot in one of my eggs this morning, what is it? I threw it out.

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    the red spot is a fertilized egg....safe too eat....no need to throw it out

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  3. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:I googled the red spot and came up with this. From what I know it does not indicate a fertalized egg.

------Also called meat spots. Occasionally found on an egg yolk. Contrary to popular opinion, these tiny spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Rather, they are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg or by a similar accident in the wall of the oviduct. Less than 1% of all eggs produced have blood spots. ------

4. HennyPennyHenHouse

HennyPennyHenHouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I have to agree with the meat spots answer. I have 4 hens, no roosters and have had blood spots on the yolk. Used them just like the others.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    It seems to be found more often in backyard flocks because the hens move around more, their eggs aren't candled with the spotted ones sorted out, and because the spots fade over time so our fresher eggs have more noticeable spots. Because many backyard flocks include roosters, many folks assume the blood spots are an indication of fertile eggs.

6. Lwiley1959

Lwiley1959 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Antioch,California
    Thanks, I didn't think it was fertilized since I don't have a roo.

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    It's normal, has nothing to do with fertilization and is totally safe to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by