Red Star Breeding question

Buckaroo

Songster
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Milton Florida
Ok, I think red stars are the same as red sex links, right? I also know that these are mutts bread from rir rooster to a delaware hen, or simular.

My question is If I breed my red star rooster and hen, will I still get red stars? If not, what do I get?

Thanks

Unfortunately no you won't. You need to have a female with the silver gene (Barred Rocks, white rocks, etc.) bred to a red male. The males will be white and the females will be red.

Red sex-links are made from the combination of a (Hens) White Rock, White Wyandotte or other White variety of bird.

Black sex-links are made by using (Hens) Barred Rocks, dominiques, and sometimes even Marans.

Since your hens possess both the silver and the red gene they won't have sex-linked chicks. Sorry...

If you breed the a red star female to a red star male, as mikirod said, you will not get chicks that can be color sexed at hatch. If you do cross them, you can produce birds that are like them. You will also produce silver females, white females, red males and some red pyle males.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom