Red Star Gone Nuts

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 12, 2013
KY
I am having an issue with one of our 21 week old Red Stars. There wasn't any problem with her at all until this past week when she has started to peck us really hard when we go in the run. I mean to the point where she drew blood on the hubs yesterday and today when I was in the run filling the feeder, she came out of nowhere and got me good enough to make my thigh bleed. She's sneaky about coming up behind us then attacking when we aren't looking. She's like a crazed ninja sometimes but not always.

She's in a mixed flock of 15, falls in the middle of the pecking order and doesn't appear to be pecking the other girls and they aren't bothering her (I spend a lot of time watching them, chicken tv you know). Her 2 RS sisters are a couple of the sweetest birds we have so I don't believe it's breed thing.

Any ideas of what might be the reason for her behavior? I really don't want to send her to freezer camp but we can't put up with the way she is acting now. Is there a way of working with her to stop this type of behavior?

I am having an issue with one of our 21 week old Red Stars. There wasn't any problem with her at all until this past week when she has started to peck us really hard when we go in the run. I mean to the point where she drew blood on the hubs yesterday and today when I was in the run filling the feeder, she came out of nowhere and got me good enough to make my thigh bleed. She's sneaky about coming up behind us then attacking when we aren't looking. She's like a crazed ninja sometimes but not always.

She's in a mixed flock of 15, falls in the middle of the pecking order and doesn't appear to be pecking the other girls and they aren't bothering her (I spend a lot of time watching them, chicken tv you know). Her 2 RS sisters are a couple of the sweetest birds we have so I don't believe it's breed thing.

Any ideas of what might be the reason for her behavior? I really don't want to send her to freezer camp but we can't put up with the way she is acting now. Is there a way of working with her to stop this type of behavior?
Is she laying eggs yet?

Is she laying eggs yet?

Her 2 sisters are but she isn't yet. Although, last night for the 1st time, she did (very reluctantly) do the squat for me. Is this a hormonal thing?

I know that sounds funny but maybe it's possible? Don't know.

Her 2 sisters are but she isn't yet. Although, last night for the 1st time, she did (very reluctantly) do the squat for me. Is this a hormonal thing?

I know that sounds funny but maybe it's possible? Don't know.
They sometimes get odd when they are getting ready to lay for the first time. She should calm down quickly after she starts laying.

Squatting is a week from laying but I bet she lays her first egg sooner.

They sometimes get odd when they are getting ready to lay for the first time. She should calm down quickly after she starts laying.

Squatting is a week from laying but I bet she lays her first egg sooner.

Ron, thank you for the reassurance that this may be just a temporary thing. Here's hoping she calms down when the laying starts. Until then, I'll be keeping a closer eye on her for sure (self-preservation is high on my list of priorities)!

Thanks again and have a good day!

NorthFl: One thing you might do is review the threads about how to deal with an aggressive roo. I'd approach her from that angle, chase her around a bit, pick her up and carry her, peg her to the ground. Let her know that you're the boss roo in the flock. When you dispense treats, chase her off the treats, and don't let her have any until everyone else has been served. Also, when you enter the run/coop, be sure you are well covered, no bare skin so she doesn't have the opportunity to draw blood. I'd go on the offense with this gal every time I go near her. Chase her until she retreats, then do what you went into their space to do. Do they free range? If so, does she attack when ranging, or just when you're in the run???

Hi Lazy Gardner,

We don't free range, the girls have a large covered run so the only place she has been a problem has been there. I like your idea of treating her like an aggressive roo...in fact that might be kind of fun BWAHAHAHA.

Hopefully between that and seeing how she does once she begins to lay, things will go better for everyone.

Thank you!

I agree it may be hormonal, but that's no reason to tolerate such behavior. Don't let that bird approach you with out a specific invitation. You'll have to keep watch on her, but when you're there, the minute she steps toward you, move confidently toward her and make her yield to you. You're not chasing her, she's simply between you and where you're going, and needs to move. If she does get in reach of you, actively chase her away for a few feet. You won't make her scared of you at all, this is how animals establish dominance over each other.

aww i <3 when my birds chase me i personally think its cute how they act all tough when i just pick them up and drop them on a chair XD

Update on our RS: 2 days ago she laid her 1st egg. It was perfectly shaped and the smallest egg we've ever had, about the size of a small walnut! Yesterday her egg was a little bit bigger.

She has calmed down a some (meaning she is only pecking us a little bit and not so hard) but she has decided she loves being picked up, I think mainly because she's getting the extra attention. I've been holding her while I fill the feeders and mess in the run.

What a character, she just might turn out to be one of our most personable chickens!

Thank you all for the advice, it was helpful.

Back
Top Bottom