Red Star might be poisoned

Yamahauler

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2015
St. Augustine, Fl.
About a week ago, one of my Red Stars jumped into a box where my irrigation pumps were and ate several frogs, about the size of a pinky nail. Soon after that she was listless, wouldn't eat for about a week. Finally started eating, but hasn't laid any more eggs since she ate the frogs. Last night, being about 43 degrees, I found her very listless, to the point that she didn't move much when I picked her up. She usually won't let me do that. Acts like she's ready to croak anytime. Any suggestions appreciated. Also, I was told that I should provide heaters when the temps are under 50 in FL. Yea, or na?

You don't need heaters under 40, I wouldn't think. Your chickens are used to warmer weather, being in Florida, but chickens survive just fine under 40 degrees without supplementary heat. What makes you think the frogs may have been poisonous, have you been able to identify what type they are?

Just days after eating the frogs, she stopped laying eggs, didn't eat anything for a week after eating the frogs, then started slowing down, like she was struggling to just walk. This morning I found her laying on her side, picked her up and put her in a box in the slightly warmer garage. She seems to not have the strength to even get out of the box. Since she seems to be dying, what's my next course of action, as I'm still new at this stuff. Before eating the frogs, she was the most aggressive of the three chickens I now have.

Last edited:
You should be keeping her somewhere warm, inside the house would be best. Here is a thread that has a lot of information regarding emergency care for a sick chicken; https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048620/how-to-provide-emergency-and-supportive-care

If she was poisoned, her body may be able to work out the toxins eventually but you will have to give her supportive care to get her through it. Since she hasn't eaten, you will probably have to tube feed her. The information for that is in the above link.

I don't know what kind of frogs you have but my chickens eat frogs all the time and it has never bothered them. If she does pass, it would be a good idea to get a necropsy done. If you tell them she ate some frogs just prior to becoming sick, they may be able to identify the toxin and a treatment for if it happens to another one of your hens. If it wasn't the frog, they should still be able to tell you the cause so you know how to deal with it. If you just do a search on here for "how to send a bird for necropsy" there are a couple good threads with information on it...

Well, these might have been babies, because there was a bunch of them, and I believe they just finished their dirty work, with the Red Star calling it quits. Just buried her after she quit breathing and locked up tight. Had to have been the frogs, because she was full of vim and vigor before eating them.
Now down to two, the the Road Island still growing feathers back and not laying. The Red Star who acts like I'm her personal friend is still laying about one a day, bless her sweet heart. :D

Knowing the normal doc, that would only require a loan of a couple thousand to Git R done. Not worth it for an old ten dollar chicken. She ate'em all, so I don't think I'll be seeing any for a while.

Well, these might have been babies, because there was a bunch of them, and I believe they just finished their dirty work, with the Red Star calling it quits. Just buried her after she quit breathing and locked up tight. Had to have been the frogs, because she was full of vim and vigor before eating them.
Now down to two, the the Road Island still growing feathers back and not laying. The Red Star who acts like I'm her personal friend is still laying about one a day, bless her sweet heart. :D

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Thanks, paid ten bucks and got about a few dozen large eggs out of her before she bit the bullet.
Still have two free ones, with the Red star that was roaming the hood, with no one wanting it, still
laying about an egg a day. And the Road Island, hopefully starting soon, as her feathers are almost
all back in, as I understand, demanding most of her protein to grow them.

Back
Top Bottom