Red Tail Hawk Problem

Quote:
To be clear: It is quite illegal to kill or relocate a bird of prey in California. The local wildlife centers are not responsible for protecting our chickens. If we have hawks in our area (I do.), we need to apply appropriate protective measures without harming the native raptors.

Its actually illegal throughout U.S. I did not know where to start pointing that out. Thought maybe suggestions were a joke?

Quote:
As has been mentioned, trapping is illegal unless you have the proper permits.

The other things; I don't know whether you are bold or naive. Fish and Wildlife has gone after people for trapping and killing protected birds. You are on an open forum that anyone, including law enforcement agencies can monitor.

If you can, Sean, get a nice big rooster. I have hawks all around, and they do not bother my chickens. I also have two large roosters that stay out with my free ranging birds (27 hens, 2 roosters & 14 Guineas free range all day and nobody home). I have big roosters (8-9 lbs), and they have always been a deterrence to hawks. I have witnessed them run at a [juvenile] Cooper's hawk. When I lived in the city & had to get rid of my roosters, I lost a hen to a hawk within a few weeks of the rooster's departure.

My brother once witnessed a Game Rooster kill a juvenile Red Tailed that was after a hen (the hen ran to the tied up rooster which met the hawk). I have a Game Rooster, but he stays up because he is too aggressive to the other roosters. If I were going to have only one rooster out, I would let him stay out.

The only flying predator I worry about is the GHO (which would not be stopped by a rooster).

Also, a male Red Tailed hawk is going to be somewhat smaller than the female (which is what we usually call a big hawk)-- I have seen the variation in some red Tailed hawks that the males are about the same size as a Cooper's -- so not so big as the OP points out.

I lost a full-grown Buff Orp to a Cooper's hawk that was quite a bit smaller than my bird. This week I lost another to a BIG Cooper's that was still about the same size as the girl it killed - my biggest BO.

Just to say: don't let the size difference think you are safe, hawks can easily kill bigger birds than themselves - they just eat it in place instead of carrying it off.

This happened in our flock as well. This fall we lost a large BO and speckled sussex as well as an EE to hawks. The EE was about the same size as the hawk but the other two were quite a bit larger... The size of the chicken is certainly not a deterent

libertychick: I lost a full-grown Buff Orp to a Cooper's hawk that was quite a bit smaller than my bird. This week I lost another to a BIG Cooper's that was still about the same size as the girl it killed - my biggest BO.

Just to say: don't let the size difference think you are safe, hawks can easily kill bigger birds than themselves - they just eat it in place instead of carrying it off.

I agree the size of the rooster does not prevent it from being killed. I can only tell what I have witnessed with my own eyes. A hawk can hit a bird just right and kill a full grown turkey. I've seen film of an eagle taking a full grown fox and even a deer.

Some roosters though are very aggressive defenders, and the hawk USUALLY has easier prey than a large, mean rooster intent on protecting his hens. If a hawk takes on the wrong rooster, the hawk can even be killed. On more than one occasion, I've heard of roosters covering a hawk & was told this was a very effective deterrent (imagine the look on the hawk's face).

A female Cooper's Hawk can be quite large but around here, I have not seen anything but juvenile Cooper's attempt to attack L.F. chickens. There are easier birds to take. I have figured the inexperienced juvenile hawks are just real hungry. I am not claiming the same is the rule everywhere. This is just my experience. I see hawks everyday. Everyday. I also see my roosters being very vigilant & the only loss I had to a hawk was a big hen within weeks of getting rid of the same rooster that I'd seen running at a hawk. I have read many, many opposite experiences on here and other forums (i.e. hawks taking large fowl, large roosters); however, my experience is different.

My roosters do not act afraid of the hawks. They warn the hens but do not run themselves. Again, just my experience. I worry more about the GHOs across the street who are about to start sitting on their eggs in the next couple of weeks.

I guess I am saying, roosters can work as hawk defense. If you can get a rooster, and your getting it for this purpose, then get one likely to be a deterrent, a game rooster.​

Didn't mean to sound like I was questioning your judgment, cgmccary - my comment was more directed to the OP, who said he felt the size of the birds was protecting them at the moment.

LOTS of people her on BYC have told of their roos scaring away a hawk - and I totally believe it could happen, roos can be ferocious!

cgmccary said:
"A female Cooper's Hawk can be quite large but around here, I have not seen anything but juvenile Cooper's attempt to attack L.F. chickens. There are easier birds to take. I have figured the inexperienced juvenile hawks are just real hungry. I am not claiming the same is the rule everywhere. This is just my experience."

This is EXACTLY my experience here in Massachusetts. It is ALWAYS the juvenile hawk of any species, even small ones, which could not possibly carry off a full sized hen, but which are bold enough to come down for a chicken - even if there is a dog or rooster present, and even if I am standing 15 feet away from the target chicken!

I think these immature birds of prey may be forced into riskier hunting grounds near people/dogs because the mature birds already occupy the more productive, less dangerous hunting areas. Also, I wonder if immatures do not yet have the best judgment regarding risk, and have not yet learned exactly what their limits are in terms of what they can lift and carry off.

On the positive side, though, it has been easy for me to teach them. Generally, I have to chase off an immature hawk only once before it stops bothering my chickens. I still see them around, but they no longer appear to pay attention to the chickens, and make no further attempts. For this reason, I believe that close attention and chasing off are better than removal. The latter merely opens the niche for a new hawk of that species...

I have the ultimate anti hawk dog. I have a 7 year old female wire haired Jack Russell Terrier. It started when she was a very small pup. A big brown hawk would swopp her and I had to stand gaurd when she was outside, when she got full grown 14 pounds I relaxed a little. Well this hawk thought he was going to get her one day, I was at the sink doing dishes and when he swooped her, she jumped in mid air and got a mouth full of tail feathers, the hawk has never swooped her again!! And she sounds tha bark alarm and goes in a frenzy if he comes close. She is now 7 and there is not a critter she tolerates comming around her home, she has killed her share of oppusums some almost twice her size. I have wondered if was to raise a pup with her if the pup would pick up her abilities as a watch dog, as she is the most tenacious little watch dog I have ever had!

Back
Top Bottom