Red tailed hawk killed my chicken

Finally got the wire on. Im going to do a layer around the bottom of hardware cloth so mink. And other small crossers can't get it.. But today I hope to let the girls in it today. With a tarp roof until I can get the plywood. But I want them to have some room to walk around cause they have been cooped up for days in there small coop

Our Anatolian Shepherd Dog is very good at deterring the many hawks we have in our area. He is penned with the goats who are near the chickens who day-range, and so keeps them very safe.

But please be aware that it is a federal offense to kill any raptor or accipiter hawks, as a violation of the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act. If you are caught shooting them the fines can be quite severe. Far better to spend your money on netting and or a livestock guardian dog, IMO.

Rewards are even offered for those who are shooting the birds, as shown in this article:

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120830/CITYANDREGION/120839910

There is some good info here on how to deter birds of prey:

http://icwdm.org/handbook/birds/HawksOwls.asp

In it it says: "Contact your local USDA-APHIS-Wildlife Services office first if you are interested in obtaining a shooting permit. The USFWS and state wildlife agencies may issue shooting permits for problem hawks and owls if nonlethal methods of controlling damage have failed or are impractical and if it is determined that killing the offending birds will alleviate the problem."

So note that you must take steps to deter the birds before shooting them, even if you have a permit.

I think I'm getting ready to build a "fort!" If you're already seeing that many hawks around, then I'd watch after putting the chickens out. I'm sure they'll be thrilled with the new smorgasbord! I like hawks & I think they're beautiful birds...until they kill my chickens!!! They will carry off the small dogs too, so I don't blame you for watching your dog. I've heard that the crows will supposedly keep the hawks away (I can see why after reading your story) but I'm not sure if they do or not. At least the crows don't eat chickens! Good luck & let us know how it goes!
Crows will definitely run hawks off. I have witnessed this many times and welcome crows to my yard. I would much rather have my seeds and fruit eaten than my chicks. The problem is the crows are not always around when the hawks fly over. We are up to six hawks, which surprises me because I thought they would be more territorial. The hawks aren't going anywhere because the lady next door shoots squirrels and leaves them for the hawks.

Crows will definitely run hawks off.  I have witnessed this many times and welcome crows to my yard.  I would much rather have my seeds and fruit eaten than my chicks.  The problem is the crows are not always around when the hawks fly over.  We are up to six hawks, which surprises me because I thought they would be more territorial. The hawks aren't going anywhere because the lady next door shoots squirrels and leaves them for the hawks. 

What a dumb lady. She is killing innocent squirrels so the chicken eating hawks can be hanging around praying on people's poultry. I would be ****** at my neighbor if I were you.

Not sure if this really helps or not but I remember as a kid my Grandpa hanging dried cord up about 20 feet high with holes drilled in them for the Martins to move in. I guess they were to help keep chicken hawks away. Or at least that's what the nosy grandson was told.

We had a neighbor's dog terrorizing our pullets. They were so scared they did not want to come out of the coop for three days. They were fenced in their run so the dog could not do anything but bark at them, nevertheless they got very scared. Since then we built a fence around the coop-run area so any dog or coyote cannot even come close. Fortunatelly the neighbor moved and so did the dog.
I absolutely LOVE dogs! I've always had dogs, and I still have a dog. BUT I don't appreciate people letting their dogs just run loose & go terrorize the neighborhood! Of course, it's not the dog's fault in that situation, it's the owner's. Thankfully, that hasn't happened here which I'm pretty surprised about. We are working on a new coop with a huge fenced in area, so I won't have to worry about all the predators. It will still be like free ranging, but it will keep predators out. I will still let them free range too. I just want to make sure that when I'm not around, they stay safe. I'm glad your neighbor moved!
wink.png

Crows will definitely run hawks off. I have witnessed this many times and welcome crows to my yard. I would much rather have my seeds and fruit eaten than my chicks. The problem is the crows are not always around when the hawks fly over. We are up to six hawks, which surprises me because I thought they would be more territorial. The hawks aren't going anywhere because the lady next door shoots squirrels and leaves them for the hawks.
What a "wonderful" neighbor to have when you have chickens! Hopefully they will stick to squirrel and not want to try chicken. I hate that. It seems like that would just attract even more hawks. I think I would ask her if she could please stop "feeding" the hawks. Maybe you could throw out some fruit and seeds for the crows and attract more of them.?.

What a "wonderful" neighbor to have when you have chickens! Hopefully they will stick to squirrel and not want to try chicken. I hate that. It seems like that would just attract even more hawks. I think I would ask her if she could please stop "feeding" the hawks. Maybe you could throw out some fruit and seeds for the crows and attract more of them.?.
She is set in her ways and I doubt she would stop, but that is an excellent idea to try to attract more crows. I will try it and see how it goes. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom