Red thing sticking out 5 day old chicks butt.... Help

Jul 3, 2021
My five day old chick had pasty butt but after i finished cleaning it i saw a red thing come out... I think it is its rectum.... I read to push it back in but i don't really know how and the hole looks too small to push it in. It was in a shell of poop.

Attachments

• IMG_20210704_082647.jpg
    IMG_20210704_082647.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 143
  • 16253683521818694248242443239661.jpg
    16253683521818694248242443239661.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 73
I'm not sure how to treat but that looks like you pulled off the umbilical stump and exposed the internal organs. You can see the cloaca is higher up in the picture. Maybe search how to treat that. I'd put some sort of divider in the brooder to separate the chick from the others so they don't pick at it.

Screenshot_20210704-203121_Samsung Internet.jpg
I'm not sure how to treat but that looks like you pulled off the umbilical stump and exposed the internal organs. You can see the cloaca is higher up in the picture. Maybe search how to treat that. I'd put some sort of divider in the brooder to separate the chick from the others so they don't pick at it.
Yes exactly this. You've created a hernia by pulling off the umbilical cord remains before it healed properly shut.

Try applying antibiotic ointment to keep it moist and fight bacteria and hope it goes in on its own.

Yes exactly this. You've created a hernia by pulling off the umbilical cord remains before it healed properly shut.

Try applying antibiotic ointment to keep it moist and fight bacteria and hope it goes in on its own.
Thank you so much. I feel so bad but i am a new chicken mom with too little knowledge. Will be careful next time. The chick is currently fine and the red thing is drying off. Will hopefully recover and grow into a healthy chicken. Please pray

I accidently did the same thing to one of my chicks as a new chicken mom so don't feel bad! We all make mistakes, that's how we learn! :hugs I kept mine separated until is healed up enough so they wouldn't pick at it. Keep it clean and moist and it should heal fine😊

Back
Top Bottom