Red to pink to red comb and faces.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elmcc, Aug 28, 2013.

1. elmcc

elmcc Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    MI
    My pullets are getting red in the face and growing combs and waddles. They squat when I attempt to pet them. They were hatched mid April, I bought them on the 15th of April. I try to watch them for a time every day, (okay don't make fun of me), One has a very red and well developed comb and waddle, the rest (7 others) have varying degrees of red faces and developing combs. Today one of the more mature's waddle and comb became pale for awhile and then turned red again. Is this normal? It was about 88 degrees but not really humid. They have fresh water and lots of food, chick food and gravel. and I give them greens and oatmeal and dry worms and tomatoes. They are really spoiled rotten. They also get stale bread. I clean their coop every 2-3 weeks and dust it down with DE and also garden and coop bug powder. Is there anything to worry about combs that change colors during the day?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Don't worry, your chickens are fine. Depending on their mood, activity level, and/or the external temperature, the color of the comb can range from bright red to extremely pale. It often becomes pale when chickens are tired/sleeping or hot.

3. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    as long as there is no swelling or bubbles in the eyes i think your fine. usually the combs get more red and "plump up" before they lay, and yours are getting close.

signs of trouble:
    swelling of combs, wattles, and eyes.
    bubbles from nose or eyes.
    sneezing, or odd noises
    ruffled feathers
    standing with one leg always up
    stinky discharges around ears, eyes or mouth
    feathers sticking together because of mucus under wings.

or any other changes in behavior.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by