Red Wigglers

They really don't multiply very fast. I raise them for composting but by the time I'd have enough to raise to feed to the chickens, I'd have already raised billions of mealworms. So I raise both lol. Look at the Mealworm Farming thread, they are so silly easy to raise!

I use red wigglers for composting. I love it. They can finish off less fresh scraps while the chickens get the fresher kitchen scraps. I use mealworms for treats for my chicks too. I was told I didn't have to cut the mealworms heads off and they love those worms more than anything! I got the mealworms from Grubco.com

Quote:
Thought I remember reading that you have to remove the heads of mealworms b4 giving them to chickens?

That's like an old wive's tale or something, when people thought they would eat the chick's stomachs. Complete nonsense. They can eat them at any age with no bad consequences.

I'm raising mealworms also for their treats and I use blackfly soldier larvae for composting and lots of additional treats. They eat bout 1/2 cup a day of larvae. Still waiting for my mealworms (now beetles) to lay and make babies.

Back
Top Bottom