Red Worm-Like Thing Coming Out of Duck' Butt

miloandmoe

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2020
Hello,

My 4 month old Muscovy duck just happened to take a poo right in front of me and I saw a red, dangly worm-like thing come out of his anus. It was pushed out a little bit as he pooped and then it retracted straight back up into him. Should I be worried about this?

Hello,

My 4 month old Muscovy duck just happened to take a poo right in front of me and I saw a red, dangly worm-like thing come out of his anus. It was pushed out a little bit as he pooped and then it retracted straight back up into him. Should I be worried about this?
Do you have a picture?

Hello,

It more than likely was his penis. A ducks penis somewhat resembles a corkscrew shaped worm. Trust me it is not pretty and if human males resembled anything like a Drake well...the human race would probably of gone extinct by now😅

If a healthy penis, it should be white or very light pink, not red. This is a health penis:
66650902-BF4A-4BAC-BECF-C2D59933FAEF.jpeg.jpg

It's kind of hard because it only comes out when he poops, but I will try. It looks exactly like an earthworm, same shape and color.

Can you take him to a vet?

How's his appetite, is he eating drinking as much as he usually does? Is he pooping often, do you have a picture of his poops? Does he seem to be in any distress? How long does it take for the "worm" to pop back in after he poops?

If what you're seeing is red, and if it's protruding out each time he defecates, that is not normal, and I would suspect he either has an inflamed penis, or has some sort of object that he's trying to expel. If you have a vet you take your birds to, I would call and tell them whats going on.

Back
Top Bottom