1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

red worms in poop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ricky bamboo, Oct 18, 2009.

1. ricky bamboo

ricky bamboo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Roseville, Ontario.
    I noticed some long slimy red worm looking things in some chicken poop. There doesn't seem to be the circular muscle definitions on the worms like earthworms, just long slimey things tha don't seem to be moving.
    The birds are free run.
    Should I be treating this or can I process with no worries? I wanted to have non-medicated meat. Does cider vinegar or kombucha in their waterer help as a homeopathic remedy?
    They will all be sent to freezer camp soon.
    Thank you.

2. fatboys farm

fatboys farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Franklin GA
    im currious about this subject myself. i have never seen worms in the poop before but im always wondering if some may have worms. ill be watching your post.

3. ricky bamboo

ricky bamboo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Roseville, Ontario.
    nothing to watch here i guess...anyone have ideas? i searched other threads with similar topic....but all i found was white worm looking things. maybe i'll take a picture and repost tomorrow.
    thanks

4. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    sounds like a bad case of round worms...treat with Wazine 17 (piperazine)..
    it's a one day treatment and leaves the system quickly.

if possible, you can take a fecal sample to a vet for testing..just to be sure..

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by