Redcap?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by adcgroup, Sep 9, 2013.

1. adcgroup

adcgroup Songster

Nov 30, 2009
    Here's one for the experts. What breed is this rooster - or what breed is he most like?

[​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Songster

3. adcgroup

adcgroup Songster

Nov 30, 2009
    Chipmunk, but darker than those. The comb was prominent on day 1.

4. Veer67

Veer67 Songster

I read your other posts about Lucky, that's the same chicken as the one you posted on this thread right? Because if he is you said that he was a silkie and Welsummer mix.

5. adcgroup

adcgroup Songster

Nov 30, 2009
    Dang. You read too much! lol [​IMG]

I was hoping to get some discussion on the Redcap theory because he appears to have a great deal of the coloration and comb - which I find interesting. The geneticists among us might tell us why, but I've recently seen 4 or 5 pictures of Redcaps that are dead ringers for Lucky - above the knees anyway...

I was planning on testing my local fair judges by entering him as a Redcap to see what they think. Fairs are certainly not like true exhibition and Redcaps points are judged 45% weighted to the comb from what I understand. If coloration, weight, and structure were within Redcap specs, I'm wondering if they'd catch the toes and disqualify.

6. Veer67

Veer67 Songster

Well I'm a good searcher lol. [​IMG]

I don't know much about chicken genetics but from the pictures I have noticed that a redcap's comb is a modified rosecomb, I've also noticed that some Dominiques have them too.
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry//CGD/Doms/BRKDoms.html
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Redcap/BRKRedcap.html

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  7. ClucksAndPeeps

ClucksAndPeeps Songster

Aug 8, 2013
    Looks like a red cap mix

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: