Redcaps

I checked the McMurray web site and they had been sold out of Red Caps. It just so happens there was a last minute cancellation for an order later this month, so I immediately called and ordered 12 pullets and 2 cockerels. I am excited!!

so this is my crossbreed chicken that has an obnoxiously large comb. It looks similar to the derbyshire redcap, what do you guys think?
i hope it is at least het for the redcap comb, I will breed this guy with some indian game or dorkings and try to get a quality meat bird with some attractive combs that make them look like kings. Any of you experienced derbyshire redcap people have thoughts? That would be nice to have a second opinion on this guy.

Anyone un USA breeding quality Derbyshire Redcaps with the overly large rosecombs? I would like to get my hands on some quality redcaps, and willing to pay for them. If not selling any, at least post some pictures of some so I can get an Idea of what to expect.

Are any of you guys still working on this breed? I think I've gained some good info by reading through the thread. And I'm planning to put in an order for some redcap chicks this January.

I ordered 15 chicks from MM back in 2015 (June). I only kept the best rooster and best hen from that group. I found many to be weak and had several go light on me during the Wisconsin Winter. This particular pair are the hardiest and the hen very productive of a medium, light tan egg. They are also quite fertile, and I have hatched out about twenty chicks from them this Summer. The pair are excellent foragers, and very social. We live on a farm, and have tried to let them free range as much as possible, as this is what the breed is known for. I would say that they have best health in a good dry coop or barn. My first go around with this breed went poorly as they were in an old building that had some humidity to it. I would say also that they do better in the cold if in a dry coop/barn. Best of luck with them. They are a great breed!

Back
Top Bottom