Reducing humidity

Just use the same device to measure inside and outside the coop.
We move the coop monitor between in the coop, the run and outside. I am pretty convinced this shows me reliable percent and temp. As a quick check I just lookup online the current humidity in my area and compare it to the current reading of my device. This morning at 9, same humidity and temp.

Note: the chicks had been out of the coop for 4-5 hours when this reading was done.

Attachments

• 1606314846131.png
    1606314846131.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201125_093125.jpg
    20201125_093125.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 5
We move the coop monitor between in the coop, the run and outside. I am pretty convinced this shows me reliable percent and temp. As a quick check I just lookup online the current humidity in my area and compare it to the current reading of my device. This morning at 9, same humidity and temp.

Note: the chicks had been out of the coop for 4-5 hours when this reading was done.
The temp matches in my coop but the humidity is inside my coop is always higher even when it’s opened up.

My coop temp is almost always the same as outside but the humidity is always higher even when it’s opened up and chickens are out. Today I cleaned out the whole coop took the waterer out and still not much change. Still higher than outside. Outside was 85 percent humidity and it was close to 95 in my coop. It’s usually a good 20- 30 percent higher when humidity is lower outside. Idk still working on it. Adding more vents this weekend.

Well I dib
Can you post pictures of your coop?
How many birds are you housing?
Do you keep water in the coop?
nt have inside pics but it’s wooden with 8 nesting boxes but they only use two in one side of the coop so I just put a lot of shavings and straw in the ones unused to insulate. Of course I do the same with the ones they do use also just not as much do they can go in. Yes I put the waterer in because I do not have a run. When it’s really cold or snowing I’d raining they stay inside most of the day. The coop door is open all day so they can go in and out.

Yes I put the waterer in because I do not have a run.
This is one reason why the humidity is higher in the coop than outside.

they stay inside most of the day
This is another.

Can you please answer question 2: How many birds are in the coop?

It sure sounds like your coop is small and may be over crowded. But without dimensions and pictures, it's tough to know for sure how to help other than suggesting you build a covered run and put the food and water out there and put in a lot more ventilation. Again, without pictures we cannot suggest where to put the ventilation.

You also do not want your birds sleeping in the nest boxes. They should be using perches set at least 6" higher than the nest boxes. Higher is better depending on the height off the floor of your nest boxes.

This is one reason why the humidity is higher in the coop than outside.

This is another.

Can you please answer question 2: How many birds are in the coop?

It sure sounds like your coop is small and may be over crowded. But without dimensions and pictures, it's tough to know for sure how to help other than suggesting you build a covered run and put the food and water out there and put in a lot more ventilation. Again, without pictures we cannot suggest where to put the ventilation.

You also do not want your birds sleeping in the nest boxes. They should be using perches set at least 6" higher than the nest boxes. Higher is better depending on the height off the floor of your nest boxes.
Hi sorry , after this post I actually lost my beloved rooster to a Fischer cat or fox. Not sure which just know it wasn’t a bear or Hawk small prints that I couldn’t clearly make out. I now have 3 hens and my coop is actually large. 6x8 6 foot high peaked roof with two outside nesting boxes which could yield 8 boxes. They only use one side and two boxes. My rooster was a big guy that really kept the hens really warm now I’m worried about more warmth but I recently add some cardboard insulation and more shavings and straw to the side they don’t use . Hope that helps. We’re going to add more vents higher up but humidity stays pretty high even with window and doors are open so not sure how much it’ll help but can’t hurt.

My rooster was a big guy that really kept the hens really warm now I’m worried about more warmth but I recently add some cardboard insulation and more shavings and straw to the side they don’t use .
Sorry for your loss.....but chickens each keep their own bodies warm.
Insulation is moot with adequate ventilation, which is more important than almost everything.

Sorry for your loss.....but chickens each keep their own bodies warm.
Insulation is moot with adequate ventilation, which is more important than almost everything.
Thank you.. I thought a little extra insulation would keep down any drafts and get prepared for colder temps.it’s snug coop for only three of them.They had this routine way of roosting where a wall was on one side and the rooster was on the other end keeping the ladies toasty in the middle. I was just hoping to fill the void of his heated protection. I’m sure they’ll adjust. You’re advice is helpful thanks.

Back
Top Bottom