Reducing my Numbers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bwark52, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Bwark52

Bwark52 New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    Hello,
    This spring my group of around seven ducks started breeding massively and while we did try to collect the eggs before they hatched, those wily ducks found some good hiding places! So now I have around thirty adult ducks in my fairly large garden and they are making too much noise. I've tried to unload excess ducks and as many drakes as possible but suprisingly few people are interested. I don't have any moral objection to eating them but they were raised in comfort and came to trust us, plus it would also upset the kids.

I love seeing so many ducks lying in the garden but I have to get rid of some.

I've considered letting them loose on a river and this is what I really want advice on. They were raised with as little intervention as possible and they're far from domestic. We have supplied them with food and water but I'm fairly sure instinct will take care of that. My only worry is that the males have grown up with only each other for competition and I'm not sure how they'd stand up to wild drakes. Plus, they have their own hierarchy here and I don't think integration will go very well for them on the open water. I think if I do let them go wild small pond or lake would probably be a better option that a river.

If anyone can give me some advice on this I'd be grateful, they're lovely ducks and killing them for food will be a last resort (I don't want to disrespect them by simply killing them and lobbing their bodies on a fire).

Thanks,
    Hector

2. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

I understand your trouble, but what you are planning to do is illegal and also a cruel fate for your ducks. They might survive for a while, but sooner or later they will be hunted down by predators or starve during winter.

3. Bwark52

Bwark52 New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    Don't misunderstand me, I'm not planning to do anything yet, I thought I clearly stated that I've considered it and I was looking for advice on whether or not it would be viable. I would never do anything that would result in a cruel fate for the ducks; I'm completely ignorant on this matter which is why I came here. I've had more of a look into it and obviously it would not be right to release them into the wild as they have more physical differences with wild ducks than I first thought as well as instinctive differences.

Rest assured I will not release the ducks. I will try to find people with large private ponds in the area who would be willing to take them in.

Thank you for your advice.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  4. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

Whether planned or just considered, it is not a good idea.
    I don't know what breed you have, but I will asume that, like the majority of domestic ducks, they can't fly and thus are greatly handicapped. They might also interbreed with the local mallard population and introduce undesired "domestic" genes into the wild genepool.
    I just wanted to make clear what consequences this can have for the ducks and make sure that you know that you would violate established law.

If you cannot keep or sell them, the hatchet would be the better alternative, although not a pretty one.

5. Eluria

Eluria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Hey, I am just checking--I have a wild Mallard that was attacked as a baby by a neighborhood dog while mama took the ducklings for a stroll. She has grown up and her primary flight feathers are coming in--when she is fully feathered, I am planning to release her back into a nearby park. I hope your advice would be different for me since she is a wild duck and can fly? She definitely does not love people--I am planning to have her start spending her days foraging in the backyard before I turn her loose. I just don't think she will be happy with us, (although we are getting a few domestic ducks soon) and I have done research and found that it isn't legal to keep her anyway as she is not a hatchery Mallard.

6. Bwark52

Bwark52 New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    They have been able to fly but have clipped wings. Thank you for you advice again, I'll see what I can about selling them but I'm afraid I may be making some duck-based meals soon.

7. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    If you just want to rehome them you could post in the Animals in need of free rehoming on this site.

8. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    If you have no objection to eating them I see no reason not to go that route. Your kids are gonna have to learn where their food comes from sooner or later! :p

9. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Where are you located. Someone here asked me today if I had any extras females to sell.

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ditto the rehoming or buy-sell-trade forums.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by