Reducing processed feed?

paullad

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2021
From what I gather, in the summer, its ok to reduce the processed feed of mature hens that are foraging but what about 3 mo. old hens? Is there a recommended age when its ok to reduce processed feed and rely more on forage (we've also got a couple chicks that are only a month and a half old)? Thanks!

**It Depends**

I hate to give that answer, but there are just too many variables involved. I have my hatchlings merged with my main flock by about 9 weeks, and they depend on their forage for between 10 and 35% of their feed, by season. But I have an extremely varied pasture, acres to forage, and one of the most forgiving climates in the nation.

So, yes, maybe.

and I cull chickens for table roughly every other week - which allows me to get a good idea of whether my birds needs are being met, shorted, or exceeded. If you don't have such a hands on (hands in?) approach, you are relying on considerably more guesswork.

If you free feed, you *SHOULD* notice reduced consumption. But if you arbitrarily reduce feed, you need (in my rarely humble view) to be a little more up close and personal in ensuring their needs are met.

Last edited:
From what I gather, in the summer, its ok to reduce the processed feed of mature hens that are foraging but what about 3 mo. old hens? Is there a recommended age when its ok to reduce processed feed and rely more on forage (we've also got a couple chicks that are only a month and a half old)? Thanks!
How large is the flock? How often do you feed them now and how much?

If I wanted to reduce my feed by half, I could feed only in the morning and skip the afternoon feeding. But my younger ones would suffer because the food would be gone by the time they could eat.

My chickens free range in the jungle and in grass and plants, but my flocks health would degrade significantly because of their ages and sizes, as well as how many chickens I have.

I have cut costs by feeding Purina pellets but cutting down on pellets by also feeding whole corn and cracked corn with grain, because pellets are the more expensive. The pellets are also my flocks favorite that they eat first.

Thanks. I thought people would know that "hens that are foraging" is the same as "free ranging".
Some people let them out to range for certain amounts of time, and others like me have truly free range birds that can range as much as they like. Restricting range time may affect feed consumption.

Also quality and quantity of range is another factor.

Back
Top Bottom