Redwood shavings in the run? Yes or No?

Frankiegirl

Crowing
May 3, 2020
SW Michigan
Good morning all and happy friday!

Question for you regarding using redwood shavings in the run. I have access to a local wood shop that has given me access to wood shavings from the projects they are working on and they thought I might be able to use them in the run.

The shavings are redwood and not cedar and they are pretty fine shavings. Is there any concern over using them in the run?

I like to compost this stuff so I am glad for the resource and would like to use them in the run if possible.

Appreciate the feedback. Cheers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 50
Try it. How much moisture you have will be a factor whether you want to keep them or not. They are comfy for the chickens to brood in when they are clean and dry, but I end up disposing of all my woody material once it gets uncomfortable, but I always can reuse it when its clean and dry again. You could also do a layer method where you keep adding dry layers for a while.

Not sure about dust since I don't use it. Also mites like wood. For me there are cases I would try it and wish I had more, and cases where I have tried it and not liked it.

Back
Top Bottom