reef tank

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by quadcam79, Jan 13, 2008.

1. quadcam79

quadcam79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Fernandina Beach Fl.
    working on rebuilding my saltwater reef tank...I used to have one, moved and it sat empty for years. now that we have a home of our own I decided to start it back up again.

I stripped and stained the stand to match our cabinets in the house and just finished building the lighting canopy...

heres a pic of the build and another as it sits right now....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and the blog entry about my rebuild..just scroll down about 1/2 way and you'll see the entry

http://homesteader101.blogspot.com/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I have always wanted a small reef/live rock tank. You can buy these little 20 gallon salt ready tanks here to 'start small'. Yours is beautiful!

3. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    That is really nice Quadcam. Should make for peaceful, quiet evenings at home! Nothing like watching graceful fish swim around to feel your stress melting away! Good job

4. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Are we allowed to post links to other forums on here? I know some people over at the aquatic forum I belong to that would like to see that

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Small is actually only for experienced experts... they are MUCH harder to manage, due to the far more rapid swings in water chemistry. LARGE(ish) is absolutely without question the way to get into reef tanks and live rock and such. Realio trulio.

Pat, who thinks they're neat but will never have one because almost all the material is destructively raped from living reefs. (Yeah, there is a *little* bit of farmed live rock now, but not anything like as spectacular)

6. quadcam79

quadcam79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Fernandina Beach Fl.
    yeh the smaller the tank the faster things change, water parameters etc...it's much easier to manage a larger tank.

my tank is pretty bare right now, it just put it back together and it has to go through the nitrogen cycle (7 weeks or so) before I can really put much stock in it. There are some things I can add that can handle the cycle, like damselfish...I just put one in there the other day buthe was really small and ended up being sucked up into the powerhead :mad:

so i may get a few green chromis [​IMG]
    to put in there, besides they arent as territorial as damsels.

after that goes the cleanup crew...small hermits and snails that eat algae, they'll keep the glass and rock spotless from green algae which can also smother corals.

i'll keep you updated on my progress....gotta go stain my canopy now....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by