Refridgerated eggs ??????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yodercountrygirl, Sep 17, 2009.

1. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Can I put refridgerated eggs under my broody??? They are my eggs that I have been getting everyday. I just got the reluctant OK from my hubby to hatch !!!! [​IMG] My broody is sitting in the box with no eggs [​IMG] I finally gave into her!!!

Oh do I need to seperate her from the rest of the flock?? She is sitting in the nest that the others lay in??

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    Of course GO for it [​IMG], as long as you know they are fertial theres no reason why not !

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    All the experts say no, yet some people have hatched from refrigerated eggs. If you have another source of fertile eggs, either a friend or more hens laying, you would be better off that way, even if you need to wait a few days to get enough to start under her. That is my recommendation. If you do not have another source of fertile eggs, you can try it. I would expect a poor hatch rate, but I would not be surprised if you got a few chicks.

4. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

ok thanks, I put 4 eggs under her today. I really wanted to do the banties but her eggs are more than 3 days old. I try and put some more under tomorrow.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    go for it!!!! it might not be the best hatch rates bu there have been people on here hatching refrigerated fertile eggs from the grocery store!

6. Highland Moongazer

Highland Moongazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Marshall, NC
    You'll probably get a better hatch rate than if you'd shipped them, depending on their age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by