Refrigerated eggs experiment complete!

honestly most care guides mention not to store in a fridge but I am suspecting there is more to it like that americans maybe call freezers fridges just like rugby is called football and motorways are highways even if they aren't high?

I'm an American :)
The way we use the words, "fridge" or "refrigerator" is a place to store things like eggs and milk. We're advised to keep it at or below 40 degrees farenheit (that's about 4 celsius or lower).

But we do try to keep our fridges above freezing, because it's nice to be able to pour milk, instead of having a block of white ice.

The freezer is the place to keep things frozen (like ice cubes and ice cream).

Plenty of American authorities also tell us to store eggs for hatching in a place that is cool but not as cold as the refrigerator.

But that is a very good point that words don't always mean what we think they do :D

Ok, so about a month ago I was asking if using high temperatures to hatch out eggs would produce more females (because it would basically kill the male eggs).
The discussion led to many responses, and one that came up was from a member who says they only hatch out refrigerated eggs, and they do this to get more females, less males. So, having an abundance of eggs I thought I would try it. I set 21 eggs. Almost all started to develop... (candling is hard with dark and blue eggs) but in the end, I only had one chick hatch...so maybe not something I will try again. LOL. However, it is a very robust little chick. I am looking for better names then its current one... "FRIDGE" 😁
I will let you know if it turns out female.
That experiment isn't going to tell you a thing. Only one chick? Nope.

good to know kiki, cause honestly most care guides mention not to store in a fridge but I am suspecting there is more to it like that americans maybe call freezers fridges just like rugby is called football and motorways are highways even if they aren't high?
To me cold is anything that isn't warm wheras I have had many conflicting discussion because of this as in America there is a clear distinction between cool and cold. so my cold might be someone else cool and they are interpreting what I am saying in a different way.

I think for this experiemnt - ie kill any embrionic males before incubating - the fridge temperature would need to be set to 3 degrees. Something below 5 degrees but above freezing.

Considering all 21 started developing I think this experiment was not performed correctly.

It is very interestin though, are fridges set above 5 degrees safe to use and will the 3 degree test work and how long does it need to be for the males to be affected but not the females
Fridges are fridges...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read the best temperature for storing eggs is 5-10 C and never to store them in fridges as humidity is too low.

My Fridge stays at 7 degrees C and 70% Humidity. To me it seems perfect for storing eggs.

So is the conclusion out of this that storing in a fridge will reduce 21 eggs to only hatch 1 or that possibly the incubator temperature was not set right?

Or is there another scientific reason why 7 degrees C and 70% humidity would be so disastrous that I cannot comprehend?
7 degrees seems a bit warm for a fridge. yuck. ours is about 4 degrees I believe. and cold air doesnt hold the same amount of moisture, so 50% humidity at 4 degrees is a lot less than at 99 degrees.
I just had another hatch yesterday and 13 out of 15 hatched so I dont think its my incubator!

7 degrees seems a bit warm for a fridge. yuck. ours is about 4 degrees I believe. and cold air doesnt hold the same amount of moisture, so 50% humidity at 4 degrees is a lot less than at 99 degrees.
I just had another hatch yesterday and 13 out of 15 hatched so I dont think its my incubator!
F or C?

good to know kiki, cause honestly most care guides mention not to store in a fridge but I am suspecting there is more to it like that americans maybe call freezers fridges just like rugby is called football and motorways are highways even if they aren't high?
To me cold is anything that isn't warm wheras I have had many conflicting discussion because of this as in America there is a clear distinction between cool and cold. so my cold might be someone else cool and they are interpreting what I am saying in a different way.

I think for this experiemnt - ie kill any embrionic males before incubating - the fridge temperature would need to be set to 3 degrees. Something below 5 degrees but above freezing.

Considering all 21 started developing I think this experiment was not performed correctly.

It is very interestin though, are fridges set above 5 degrees safe to use and will the 3 degree test work and how long does it need to be for the males to be affected but not the females
First.. I am CANADIAN.
Second, I wasn't storing them in the fridge by accident- it was an experiment. Done on purpose to see if male embryos would not survive and thus leave me with a better male female ratio , since I ALWAYS end up with 60-70 percent roosters!!!

It was an experiment. It didnt work- and I have a sneaking suspicion that Fridge is a male. His stance is high, he is very eager and first to run to my wiggly finger. LOL Always a sure sign of a cockerel.

And cold...well, Im Canadian- cold is anything below -12 Celsius (10 F)

Back
Top Bottom