Refrigerated eggs? Please help!

chixaregreat41

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 1, 2013
bruce mines
Okay so my speckled Sussex hen just went broody but we haven't been getting eggs in the past 2 days, SO i have a dozen eggs in the fridge that have been in there for 2 days do you think i can stick them under her? The thing is our eggs are HUGE! And only 2 fit under her but i still really want to try to hatch them its just if the eggs dont hatch good because i heard only 75% will hatch or something...there's only 2 eggs? Please help :|

How long has your hen been broody? I always wait until they've been on the nest 2 nights in a row before I give them the eggs I want to hatch. If they don't spend that much time on the nest, they're not truly broody yet--I've had too many flirt with broodiness for up to 2 weeks before they actually settle down to it. Once the spend a few nights on the nest, IME they're in it for the long haul.

So, if you're thinking she's just now broody, you have a few days to collect fresh eggs to put under hen. A full size hen can easily fit at least 6 large fowl eggs, even if they're XL size. You can sure put fewer if you're more comfortable doing that.
When I have a bird that's acting broody, I hold out the eggs I'll want to incubate so I have a good clutch when I'm ready to set them. If you don't have all the eggs you want to put under her, you can wait another day or so--I wouldn't go much past 5 days or she'll be more likely to quit on you just before hatching.

How long has your hen been broody? I always wait until they've been on the nest 2 nights in a row before I give them the eggs I want to hatch. If they don't spend that much time on the nest, they're not truly broody yet--I've had too many flirt with broodiness for up to 2 weeks before they actually settle down to it. Once the spend a few nights on the nest, IME they're in it for the long haul.

So, if you're thinking she's just now broody, you have a few days to collect fresh eggs to put under hen. A full size hen can easily fit at least 6 large fowl eggs, even if they're XL size. You can sure put fewer if you're more comfortable doing that.
When I have a bird that's acting broody, I hold out the eggs I'll want to incubate so I have a good clutch when I'm ready to set them. If you don't have all the eggs you want to put under her, you can wait another day or so--I wouldn't go much past 5 days or she'll be more likely to quit on you just before hatching.
X2 Make sure she is broody before you waste any eggs.
The eggs in your fridge probably won't hatch since they have been stored too cold for too long.

Back
Top Bottom