Refrigerated Eggs

Can you hatch quail from refrigerated Eggs?
Unfortunately, something got into our coop and we lost all but one. We have eggs from our hens but they are in the refrigerator. Can we try and hatch them? We are so sad.
Refrigerated eggs can be hatched if they are fertile eggs. The longer period of time that the eggs have been refrigerated, the worse the hatch rate will be. Go for it.

I am.getying some cayuga duck eggs but she doesn't have enough ducks for me to get 2 dozen in 7 days or less and its a 3 hour drive to her place to get them so I started thinking about getting some that has in her refrigerator. I know this can be done, and the oldest refrigerated eggs she has are just about 2 weeks old. My question is how do we bring them to room temperature without them sweating? If they do start to sweat, should we wash them to avoid any bacteria getting through the shell? Any and all ideas are welcome, thanks guys.

2 weeks in the 'fridge makes them unlikely to hatch. More than one week at perfect temps sees fertility drop. It will be even worse if they've been refrigerated.
She will have about 7 or 8 that are fresh/not in the fridge when I go to get them so I would only need to get a few to make a dozen so I wouldn't be getting the oldest eggs, the 1s I would be getting would be anywhere between 2 and 4 days old. I decided to just get a dozen but I'm only going to be in the area tomorrow so I cant wait for her to gather more and since they're only $8/dozen I wouldnt be wasting much money plus she's giving me a discount on the fridge eggs. Do yall know of any way to keep them from sweating or if it can't be avoided should we go ahead and wash them to get most of the bacteria off so when they do sweat its less likely for any nasty stuff to find it way in the shell?

For quail hatching eggs litarature says storing at 8°C to 15°C.
So I guess a few degrees up and down will not make the total show-stopper.

Same with days. I am not familiar with duck eggs, but for quail eggs litarature says after 10 days storing hatch rate drops dramaticly ... I stored last hatch a part of my eggs 16 days as they arrived unexpected. Still had a hatch rate over 80%

Theory in laboratories and the real life differs more or less :old😉

For quail hatching eggs litarature says storing at 8°C to 15°C.
So I guess a few degrees up and down will not make the total show-stopper.

Same with days. I am not familiar with duck eggs, but for quail eggs litarature says after 10 days storing hatch rate drops dramaticly ... I stored last hatch a part of my eggs 16 days as they arrived unexpected. Still had a hatch rate over 80%

Theory in laboratories and the real life differs more or less :old😉
Were they refrigerated?

Back
Top Bottom