Refrigerated Eggs?

Isabella

Hatching
10 Years
May 16, 2009
Can you set eggs that have been kept in the frige? or do they need to stay at room temperature?
Thanks

Yes you can I kept a dozen silkie eggs in the fridge and then sent them to North Carolina and all 12 hatched! So yes as a rule though I don't let them get older than 10 days thats just what I go by.

Tripp

Quote:
Ahhhh, the ever popular "fridge egg" question.

Science says they should not be held at any refrigerator temps. Such temps kills the fertile germ. Optimum holding temp is 55-65 degrees and about 60-70% Rh.
But each time I offer that little tidbit in one of these threads, someone pops on to tell how they took eggs from the fridge and hatched them. Just wait, you'll see....

So why not? Give it a try!

Last edited:
I did! I did! 6 days in the fridge and they are growing - about half way through now.

tongue.png

I like being the exception to the rule...

lol.png

I got some Foghorn Leghorns...

20090227_0068.jpg

03-09PeepsFirstPhotoShoot015.jpg

Craigslistphotos016.jpg

Nine were developing, five hatched, four survived. Two boys and two girls.
At the same time, I incubated a dozen farm-fresh RIR/BR X eggs, of which 10 were developing and 9 hatched.

smile.png

I had a bunch in the fridge for 10 days, put 'em in the incubator and they all hatched. Maybe my fridge is just above the lethal temp?

Depends on your fridge temp. Typically, refrigerated eggs will have a somewhat lower hatch rate than room temp eggs, but it depends on many factors, such as: how cold, for how long, shipped/not shipped, fresh/not fresh, hardy breed/fragile breed, your bator/hen, and other factors.

In general, I think eggs are often much more resilient than we give them credit for.

Back
Top Bottom