Refrigerated fertile eggs???

I'm one of the people who has hatched refrigerated, fertile, grocery store eggs (from Trader Joe's). TJ (rooster)
41679_ny-tj_roo.jpg

and his 3 Josettes are doing very well in my flock.

Wanted to give an update. I went out and candled them today. I put 2 duck eggs under her,, about 2 weeks ago and they are definitely forming.
Looks like we are going to have a few ducks soon. I just hope my broody chicken don't give up before they hatch. I have no other way to finish the incubation.

Well,,,another update. Both duck eggs are still looking good. We should have a few ducklings this week. It takes 28 days to hatch. I believe we are at day 21 or 22. I wish I would have kept better track. I could even be off a day or two. I will be watching and checking on them closely all week.

She is in a laying box ,,in coop,,,with the other hens running around. Last year I moved broody hen and egg about to hatch into a private box away from other chickens.

Should I move her again this time??

Big problem!!! These duck eggs should be hatching any day now,,by Friday at latest. (I'm hatching duck eggs under chicken)

Our Australorpe is the one that has been broody all this time. My GF noticed last night, there was a ISA Brown sitting on the eggs. I go out today and a ISA brown is sitting on the eggs.
Until last night the Australorpe never left the nest. And we have 9 ISA Browns that look alike. I don't know if the ISA browns are just using the nest box to lay an egg or if it just one going broody. (what are the odds that the australorpe quits and a ISA brown goes broody?)

This is a terrible time for this to happen,,is there anything I can do?? I just candled them and I can see movement in both eggs.

I have no incubator. I am going to keep a close eye on this today. I might be able to tell if it's the same ISA brown if I go out in a bit and its still sitting on the nest.

Back
Top Bottom