Refrigerating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mustangsaguaro, Feb 15, 2008.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    How long can eggs be out of the refridgerator before going bad? I am asking b/c I am participating in the Feb Egg Swap and want to get my eggs collected and shipped as soon as I know who my partner is. I want to be able to send my partner the freshest of eggs possible. I know not to refridgerate eggs that are going to be shipped. I have 4 eggs sitting out right now and am expecting at least 2 more eggs today. Haven't been laid yet.

Kim

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I think they are only viable for up to 2 weeks MAX - anything longer and they probably won't hatch.

The ideal is to collect the day you send them - or perhaps the day before.
    They can spend 4 days in the mail.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I don't refrigerate my eggs. Not even the ones I cook with.

4. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:Right now I have 5 hens w/ only 3 maybe 4 laying. Right now I am getting 2-3 eggs/day. I know it is best to collect on the day of ship. But since I only have 2-3 eggs/day I will probably have to collect one day, wait for the next day collect those eggs, then ship.

5. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    For hatching, it is my understanding that it is just best not to refrigerate. Leaving them in a cool spot is better and apparently if you turn them while they are resting they should do better. But I'm no expert.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by