Refrigerator eggs

janjan1

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Armuchee, GA
I had two of my favorite hens slaughtered by a break in, either by neighbors dog or coyote. These two were the oldest of my flock and best layers. I have about 10 more spring pullets that laying too and one EE roo. The older hens layed larger darker colored eggs, (golden laced and a Maran) well identifiable. After the slaughter I pulled all of their eggs which were refrigerated in hopes of hatching them, in addition to a few of the pullets.....just in case. I allowed them to warm to room temp before placing in my incubator. They were not scheduled to hatch until Monday. They all have started hatching 2-3 days early. I have always had eggs hatch on time or later, never early. Since these are all refrigerator eggs, my first, is this a good sign/. So far I have 9 out, and three more pipping.

I had two of my favorite hens slaughtered by a break in, either by neighbors dog or coyote. These two were the oldest of my flock and best layers. I have about 10 more spring pullets that laying too and one EE roo. The older hens layed larger darker colored eggs, (golden laced and a Maran) well identifiable. After the slaughter I pulled all of their eggs which were refrigerated in hopes of hatching them, in addition to a few of the pullets.....just in case. I allowed them to warm to room temp before placing in my incubator. They were not scheduled to hatch until Monday. They all have started hatching 2-3 days early. I have always had eggs hatch on time or later, never early. Since these are all refrigerator eggs, my first, is this a good sign/. So far I have 9 out, and three more pipping.
I'm sorry to her about your girls, I've heard that once refrigerated the eggs won't hatch. Grateful they did, God must have decided you needed to have them.. :) ,

Also wanted to say that after the break in, I re-enforced ALL the wire around the coop with heavy duty wire and metal sheeting. I doubt even a snake can squeeze thru. Then have heavy duty plastic wrapping around so no wind or rain can enter run either. Yes up in rafters there is a small open area to allow moisture to escape. And DH bought cozy coop radiating heaters I installed against flat side of coop which do not come on unless less than 45 degrees. We are currently having a early wet cold snap here in NW Ga.

They were not scheduled to hatch until Monday. They all have started hatching 2-3 days early. I have always had eggs hatch on time or later, never early.
Maybe your heat was running a bit high?
Congrats!

I've heard that once refrigerated the eggs won't hatch.
I, and others, have hatched refrigerated eggs.

cool, didn't think that you could.
Yep, you sure can. The hatchability will be lower since some embryos won't survive being under 40 degrees, but many do. I know some were experimenting with doing it on purpose to have fewer male chicks hatch as males are especially sensitive to cold.

Well guys, I looks like the final tally is 12 chicks. Three died attempting to hatch or shortly thereafter, and 5 eggs failed to even pip. But I feel it was a successful hatch of refrigerator eggs.
Congrats!

Well guys, I looks like the final tally is 12 chicks. Three died attempting to hatch or shortly thereafter, and 5 eggs failed to even pip. But I feel it was a successful hatch of refrigerator eggs.
Congrats!
Had the 5 non-pippers fully developed?

Curious...how old(days since laid) were the eggs?
When I gave egg to broody, it was 13 days old and had been in fridge for half that time.

Yep, you sure can. The hatchability will be lower since some embryos won't survive being under 40 degrees, but many do. I know some were experimenting with doing it on purpose to have fewer male chicks hatch as males are especially sensitive to cold.

Congrats!
Now you've got me curious..lol.. going to have to try this some time, especially if it will help to weed out roosters, I don't want to have more than 2 in there if I can help it.

Back
Top Bottom