refurbishing a used coop: your advice please

Perris

Still learning
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 28, 2018
Gower, Wales
So today I picked up a used wooden coop on freecycle. It needs some TLC, and I plan to clean thoroughly and then disinfect it as well. It is currently in a holding location, where no chickens have been or will be kept, where it will stay while I do the work on it and until I'm sure I can bring it home without risking my chickens' health. Is there anything in particular I should look out for while refurbishing it? And anything in particular I should do while refurbing it? Any advice will be much appreciated; thanks.

it's disassembled, and elsewhere, so that's not straightforward. The individual elements are all piled against a wall in a shed at the moment. In any case, I was thinking general advice rather than specifics, e.g. signs of insect infestation or penetrating damp, that I can keep in mind while working over each piece.

I have avoided wood before 'cos of the mites issue.
That's a bit of a 'wives tale' coupled with some fear mongering...
....and purported by the plastic coop manufacturers.
Tho it is true that a roost mite infestation is easier to resolve with a plastic coop that can be disassembled and cleaned.

Yes, mites can harbor in the cracks and crevices of wood, especially if it's at all moist.
A good thick coat of paint, after thoroughly drying and properly prepping the wood, can go a long way in preventing that.

20190722_172444.jpg
Before
20190817_185354.jpg
So far, still working on it.
20190723_151228.jpg
Ripping out old nest boxes
20190730_142022.jpg
Added vinyl floor.

Back
Top Bottom