Refusal to roost -- new(er) members of flock

Well, procrastinator that I am, I still have not gotten any new roosts up. But they all seem to be working things out on there own! I peek in on them just after dark, and I haven't had to move anyone in about a week! Success! I still may change things up down the road (I want to add a poop board, that will require some rearranging) but the one long roost seems to be working now. The littles (who are about 3 months) are working there way into the pecking order. Yay! There is definitely something to be said about persistence.

Good to hear! I had the same issue with my pullets.. I had to keep physically putting them on the rooster for about a week and they got the gist lol :)

My 2 buffs (I bought together) would not roost. They laid in the floor of the chicken coop almost on top of one another. I tried putting them back on the roost repeatedly with much squawking and flailing wings.and frustration on my part because I was so afraid I would hurt them. After about a week of this I threw in the towel. If they wanted to sleep on the floor it was fine by me. If they became uncomfortable, they would start roosting

My 2 buffs (I bought together) would not roost. They laid in the floor of the chicken coop almost on top of one another. I tried putting them back on the roost repeatedly with much squawking and flailing wings.and frustration on my part because I was so afraid I would hurt them. After about a week of this I threw in the towel. If they wanted to sleep on the floor it was fine by me. If they became uncomfortable, they would start roosting
When moving chickens to the roost.....
-by holding their wings against their bodies- so they can't struggle.
-it's best to do it when it's full dark.
-settle their feet securely on a nice stable and wide roost.
-then slowly letting go of wings with a gentle touch on back to keep them there for a few seconds.

Every time I train a batch of brooder raised chickens to roost it usually takes about 10 nights of manually placing them on the roost before they get the idea.
Only reason I worry about it is because if it rains at night the chicken yard floods out.

Back
Top Bottom