Refusing to provide NPIP number?

Bethany101

Songster
Apr 18, 2020
EDIT::
Just wanted to also point out, she was asking for where to send people to find her number. Shouldn't you know where to find your own number if you were already /currently certified?

Why would somebody refuse to provide NPIP ID number to potential customers?

I just saw a FB post, a woman was complaining angrily that a potential customer was asking for her NPIP number.

She said she refused to provide it, and that she only gives it to people after they pay. I thought that was very strange. I asked jokingly "Why did you refuse? Are you afraid she is going to steal your number?" and she blocked me instead of answering the question. I found that extra strange.... Is this normal behavior of NPIP breeders? I see the numbers listed on ebay posts.

I guess I find it somewhat untrustworthy that someone would claim to be NPIP but refuse to provide proof until after securing funds. Maybe I'm the weird one?

Last edited:
That seems really sus. I'm not NPIP certified but that seems really suspicious.

I know!! Me neither but I plan to be by next year. If someone refused to give me that information, I would not buy from them or contact them again. What a terrible sales tactic!

It's public information after all. Forcing potential customers to find the directory and search for their name rather than just telling them the number, makes me think they are using someone else's name 🤔 Just red flags for me all around.

We’ve all heard horror stories about scams….I’d bet money she doesn’t have a number! There is NO sane reason to not make it available….and her reaction pretty much proves she looking to scam. So sad!

I agree, just red flags at every turn. Asking FB "is there a source I can direct them toward to find my number?" is not something a certified breeder would do.

I would understand a newly certified person, or a dumby, not knowing about the existence of the directory or where to find it, but somebody waiting for re-certification would certainly know! And even if she is just a dumby that doesn't have a clue, that's just another red flag for me!

EDIT::
Just wanted to also point out, she was asking for where to send people to find her number. Shouldn't you know where to find your own number if you were already /currently certified?

Why would somebody refuse to provide NPIP ID number to potential customers?

I just saw a FB post, a woman was complaining angrily that a potential customer was asking for her NPIP number.

She said she refused to provide it, and that she only gives it to people after they pay. I thought that was very strange. I asked jokingly "Why did you refuse? Are you afraid she is going to steal your number?" and she blocked me instead of answering the question. I found that extra strange.... Is this normal behavior of NPIP breeders? I see the numbers listed on ebay posts.

I guess I find it somewhat untrustworthy that someone would claim to be NPIP but refuse to provide proof until after securing funds. Maybe I'm the weird one?
What exactly would you do if you knew someone's NPIP number?

All NPIP current participants can be found here:
http://www.poultryimprovement.org/statesContent.cfm

Click on the state And it will generate a list of current participants.

Are you aware that NPIP does not necessarily mean disease-free?

I know!! Me neither but I plan to be by next year. If someone refused to give me that information, I would not buy from them or contact them again. What a terrible sales tactic!

It's public information after all. Forcing potential customers to find the directory and search for their name rather than just telling them the number, makes me think they are using someone else's name 🤔 Just red flags for me all around.
I gather you believe that if someone is a participant in the NPIP that that means they're flock is disease-free and that unfortunately is not true.

What exactly would you do if you knew someone's NPIP number?

All NPIP current participants can be found here:
http://www.poultryimprovement.org/statesContent.cfm

Click on the state And it will generate a list of current participants.

Are you aware that NPIP does not necessarily mean disease-free?

Yes, I know all of that. I'm just suspicious of this self proclaimed certified breeder posting about herself refusing to provide the information until after closing a deal, and asking people on facebook IF there MIGHT be a source or a list of breeders.
Breeders know there is a list and where to find it.

I think you may be misinterpreting my post. I'm not asking for the directory, I know where to find it and how to use it.

I'm asking why a ""certified breeder trying to get re-certified"" would be unaware of the NPIP breeder directory and immediately blocking people who ask why she doesn't know or why she refuses to give out a number that can be found online. Which she would know, if she was a breeder. ;)

I gather you believe that if someone is a participant in the NPIP that that means they're flock is disease-free and that unfortunately is not true.

Your assumptions are annoying me. You seem determined to misinterpret what I'm saying, so goodbye. I never once mentioned my concern for diseases. Only a concern for untrustworthy people.

Yes, I know all of that. I'm just suspicious of this self proclaimed certified breeder posting about herself refusing to provide the information until after closing a deal, and asking people on facebook IF there MIGHT be a source or a list of breeders.
Breeders know there is a list and where to find it.

I think you may be misinterpreting my post. I'm not asking for the directory, I know where to find it and how to use it.

I'm asking why a ""certified breeder trying to get re-certified"" would be unaware of the NPIP breeder directory and immediately blocking people who ask why she doesn't know or why she refuses to give out a number that can be found online. Which she would know, if she was a breeder. ;)
Too many people call themselves breeders.

Being a participant in the National Poultry Improvement Plan doesn't make them a certified breeder.

I understand what your saying.

Back
Top Bottom