Regular Rubber Eggs?

momma chickie

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2016
I have an older Americauna, She is probably getting close to 5 yrs old. She got pretty sick last year with sour crop but has been doing very good since. She starting laying again and after a few thin shelled eggs she has now started laying rubber eggs all this week.
We supplement with crushed egg shell, feed a good organic lay feed, dried grubs that are rich in calcium and also boost with yogurt, oatmeal and occasionally a little DE for good measure.
I am not sure why her egg shells are not forming. She is very active and no other signs of illness with her. She has all her weight back on and she went through her molt very quick and feathered out very nice.
Any suggestions on what more I can be doing, something I am missing?

We supplement with crushed egg shell, feed a good organic lay feed, dried grubs that are rich in calcium and also boost with yogurt, oatmeal and occasionally a little DE for good measure.
What kind of feed....crumble, pellets, cracked grains?
I'd cut out all the other stuff.
How is the crushed egg shell offered?

Older birds can have reproductive issues including difficulty absorbing or utilizing calcium, so that might be what you're seeing here.

I assume the eggshell is offered on the side? Might want to switch to large flake oyster shells (which sit in the system longer and offer up more calcium) and mix in a small amount of that into her feed a few times each week, to see if increasing the amount of calcium available helps at all.

Back
Top Bottom